Skip to main content

Tuesday: More Boston, more rain, more SIW

Former WorkplaceYou're looking at Rowes Wharf, one of the pricier locations in Boston on the harbor.

I know of this place because this is where Breakaway Solutions was once located. I was hired by BS for 87 days in January 2000, right when the Dot-com bubble was starting to burst.

I'd been working for SAIC as a software and systems engineer on the JSIMS program for over a year. SAIC was a sub to TRW, who was the lead integrator.  I'd gotten pretty burned out working on JSIMS. JSIMS had turned into a death march, with 16 hour days and six day weeks before I left.

Many in the government at the time I was ready to leave were looking to kill JSIMS, and SAIC didn't appear too keen on finding a new spot for us on another program.

It really hurt. I'd been given a merit award by SAIC the middle of 1999 for the work I'd done up to that point, but by December 1999 the whole thing had turned into a huge political train wreck that had already gone over the cliff. It just hadn't hit bottom yet.

BS, a subcontractor on the JSIM program themselves, made me an offer of salary plus stock options and gave me a signing bonus. I jumped at the offer without really thinking things through. The signing bonus was enough to keep me around for 90 days.

At the end of those 90 days, after I'd learned that BS wasn't for me, I went back to work for SAIC. The former SAIC JSIMS PM was instrumental in getting me another slot on another program; WARSIM. I stayed with SAIC for another six years.

While I was gone by April of 2000, BS kept going for a while, declaring chapter 11 on 7 September 2001. By 2002 the company was completely out of business. During the 87 days I was there, my fabulous stock options lost so much value so fast they were useless paper by the time I left.

A core company that helped create BS, called WPS Labs, rose out of the BS ashes and re-incorporated as Gestalt LLC. They occupied offices in many of the older BS cities, including Orlando. Gestalt developed a pretty good consultancy business in heavy industry and defense. They were acquired by Accenture Ltd in January 2008.

I first came to Rowes Wharf in March 2000 for a BS "bootcamp". I remember all of this area under construction due to the Big Dig. It was cold and rainy then as it was today, with the added bonus of having to step over and through all the construction going in immediately in front of the building. I wish I had a photo of the area from back then, because you wouldn't believe how torn up it all was back in March 2000 compared to how nice it looks today.

.

.

.

.

Even when it's cold and wet Boston has an organic beauty that's hard for me to capture. I love the textures and colors of the older buildings, buildings made of stone and brick and exposed steel. Those parts of Boston are more beautiful than the more current behemoths with skins of plate glass that tower over everything else. The real architectural beauty of this city is in it's historically rich buildings.

Boston strikes me as something of a compact dynamo of a city. I'm not going to judge it as better or worse than any other city I've been in. I just happen to have fallen in love with the downtown section. It reminds me of downtown Atlanta when I was a boy, before it became over developed. I'm going to miss Boston when I leave.

Update 6 April:

Lame Fail. Wrote this late Tuesday when I was very tired. I was concentrating on Wednesday, when I was to present twice at the SIW. The title is updated but the underlying URL isn't, which is one of the really annoying flaws with Blogger; change the text title, but the URL that was originally created is forever.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Decade Long Religious Con Job

I rarely write inflammatory (what some might call trolling) titles to a post, but this building you see before you deserves it. I've been seeing this building next to I-4 just east of Altamonte/436 and Crane's Roost for nearly 12 years, and never knew who owned it. Today on a trip up to Lake Mary with my wife I saw it yet again. That's when I told her I wanted to stop by on the way back and poke around the property, and photograph any parts of it if I could.

What I discovered was this still unfinished eighteen story (I counted) white elephant, overgrown with weeds and yet still under slow-motion construction. It looks impressive with its exterior glass curtain walls, but that impression is quickly lost when you see the unfinished lower stories and look inside to the unfinished interior spaces.

A quick check via Google leads to an article written in 2010 by the Orlando Sentinel about the Majesty Tower. Based on what I read in the article it's owned by SuperChannel 55 WA…

first night for the gingersnaps

The first night has passed and the two have managed to survive, in spite of what their tiny hearts might have thought when first arriving. Greebo, the larger of the two, has been in hiding the entire time so far. Ponder has spent the time zipping in and out of hiding spots, checking things out, and learning just how comfortable pillows are for resting your head.

During the night I felt the tiny body of Ponder hitting the bed as he leaped up on the side, and then climbed to the top to run around on top of me. At least once he play-attacked my fingers. He might be small but his claws are still quite sharp.

When I got up in the morning the bowl of cat kitten food was fairly well depleted. It's been refilled and fresh water put in the big dish on the floor. I'm assuming that both Greebo and Ponder are feeding and drinking. I have seen Greebo under the furniture peeking out at me when I went looking for him. I'm leaving him alone while he continues to adjust.

So far the guys h…

cat-in-a-box channels greta garbo

So I'm sitting at my computer, when I start to notice a racket in back. I ignore it for a while until I hear a load "thump!", as if something had been dropped on the floor, followed by a lot of loud rattling. I turn around and see Lucy in the box just having a grand old time, rolling around and rattling that box a good one. I grab the GX1 and snap a few shots before she notices me and the camera, then leaps out and back into her chair (which used to be my chair before she decided it was her chair).

Just like caring for Katie my black Lab taught me about dogs, caring for Lucy is teaching me about cats. She finds me fascinating, as I do her. And she expresses great affection and love toward me without coaxing. I try to return the affection and love, but she is a cat, and she takes a bat at me on occasion, although I think that's just her being playful. She always has her claws in when she does that.

She sits next to me during the evening in her chair while I sit in mi…