Chasing the moon

The March "super moon" got me started (crazed? loony?) photographing the moon again. This time I'm creating a test sequence, if you will, using the OM 300mm with the E-P2 and adapters. I bought the used OM 300mm to get a bigger image of the moon over the Zuiko Digital 50-200mm zoom. It was cheaper than buying either the EC-20 or a telescope and I can easily task the 300mm for other terrestrial uses.

New quarter 9 April 2011
9 April 2011

Why do I keep doing this, especially when there's other resources like Nasa's Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter (LRO)? Because there's something deeply satisfying in doing it yourself, even if it's no where near as detailed. There's something magical watching the terminator crawl across the surface of the moon, picking out craters in deep shadow. I'll never grow tired watching it happen, no matter how many times it repeats. That curvature, those shadows, show that the moon is a real body in space, something you can walk on. So close, and yet so far.

New Moon 8 April 2011
8 April 2011

Even at 300mm, or 600mm effective focal length with the E-P2's sensor, the size of the moon's image compared to the size of the frame is small. To achieve what I would consider an effective image size, I'd want something to gives me four times the image size, or 1200mm (2400mm effective focal length). We're talking about a very expensive conventional optic here; for example the Canon EF1200mm 1:5.6 L sells used for $99,000. That is, if you can find one.

Maybe I really will get that telescope after all. My wife is going to kill me...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Decade Long Religious Con Job

Ten Reasons to Ignore Ten Reasons to Dump Windows and Use Linux

Former Eclipse user re-evaluates Eclipse 3.3M5