Back home

It's a few minutes past midnight, and I'm listening to the Orange County chopper flying around out in the night. They like to call it in with the spot shining down, like an old episode of Cops.

Wheels down at OIA from Boston was 10am. My wife was there to pick me up. I got the pleasure of driving home. By the time I got unpacked and back on the road to the office it was 1pm. I spent some three hours at the office trying to catch up, rather than waiting to get hit with it all Monday morning.

On the way to and from the office I saw new construction starting in Research Park, at the intersection of Ingenuity and Challenger parkway. The area being cleared has been cleared of native vegetation once before, leaving grass to grow back. Now, some years later, they were back to clear the grassy acreage for some new construction project.

EP089688

And so we've torn open the skin of the earth again and exposed the rich top soil underneath, and chased out the limited wildlife that had moved back into the grassy acreage. Then we'll cover it over with concrete, steel, and asphalt, in prime wetlands, and call it progress.

Dozer

I pulled the OM 300mm 1:4.5 out this evening and went out back to photograph the new moon.

New Moon 8 April 2011

It was taken with the E-P2 and adapters, at ISO 200 (base ISO), with IBIS disabled and anti-shake set for 4 seconds. Exposure was 1/80s and f/8. I'm not too satisfied with the results, but rather than blame the lens, I need to consider that the shot was made with the moon low on the western horizon, thus presenting considerable atmospheric distortion. I'm also unfamiliar with using this combination of gear for this specific purpose. I do want this to work, as the last thing I truly need is an expensive telescope just to take pictures of the moon.

And after what I experienced with the M.Zuiko 17mm in Boston, I'm motivated more than usual to go back to the old metal-based lenses of decades past.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Decade Long Religious Con Job

Ten Reasons to Ignore Ten Reasons to Dump Windows and Use Linux

Former Eclipse user re-evaluates Eclipse 3.3M5