Boston and No Red Dots of Death

While perusing Kirk Tuck's blog I was reminded of the serious red dot issue with the E-PL2. I offer the following two photographs I took in Boston with my E-P2 (sorry, no E-PL2) that don't have the Red Dots of Death.

When I traveled to Boston the week of 3 April I took the older E-P2 with me along with a motley bag of lenses to play with. While I didn't post everything I took while in Boston that week, I did happen to post two images that should have created red dots, but didn't.

.
E-P2, M.Zuiko 14-42mm, 14mm, f/5, 1/1600s, ISO 400

The image above was taken with the kit lens on the last day I was attending the SIW, early in the morning. The image below was taken in the early afternoon on the Sunday I arrived in Boston with a 30-year-old OM film lens. You'll note typical lens flair and starring, but not the Red Dots of Death. You'll have to take my word for it, but on those photos I didn't post that also contained flairs such as these, they didn't have Red Dots of Death either.

.
E-P2, OM 50mm 1:1.4, f/5.6, 1/2000s, ISO 200, -0.3 EV

What's interesting about both of these is that they were taken around f/5.6. I have a tendency to photograph with lens apertures as wide open as possible, only stopping down to avoid overexposures. I can't give you any single specific reason why I do this, it's just a habit I've fallen into over the years. I just seem to avoid trouble by staying away from the smaller apertures at f/8 and higher.

It's amazing what you can photograph when you use the equipment the way it was intended, instead of the way you think it should be.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Decade Long Religious Con Job

Ten Reasons to Ignore Ten Reasons to Dump Windows and Use Linux

Former Eclipse user re-evaluates Eclipse 3.3M5