Skip to main content

When Free (as in beer) really isn't Free


The image capture above is what happened when I tried to start Angry Birds Rio today. I downloaded Angry Birds Rio from Amazon using the Amazon App Store application I installed from the Android Market. Truth be told I installed it because I heard that Amazon was offering "a paid app for free every day", and who doesn't like free?

So I installed it, logged into my regular Amazon account, and over the last month installed a number of top-drawer Android apps that happened to be free for a particular day. One of those apps was Angry Birds Rio.

I starting playing Angry Birds on my Apple iPod Touch when I purchased it through the Apple App store for 99 cents. It was a fun game, but most significantly, it had no ads and there was nothing to keep me from playing it, no matter what. That meant that if I was in an area where there was no connectivity and I needed to kill some time I could still play the app.

When I installed the Amazon app, one of the first apps it offered for free was Angry Birds Rio. So I installed it and started to play it immediately. Angry Birds Rio's play on my Android handset was smooth and the display was outstanding, far better than what I experienced with the original Angry Birds on the iPod Touch. And that's the way it was until about three weeks into playing the game, when ads started to show up between sets.

The ads that showed up were for the movie Rio. Yes, my wife and I went to see movie, but we were planning on seeing it anyway. The in-app ads did nothing to convince me one way or the other to see the movie, and only served as an annoyance. Then, today, came the surprise you see above; the Amazon login-to-play dialog.

It looks like the Amazon App Store login times out after a certain period of time, apparently measured in weeks. This is a reasonable security feature (I suppose), but it had an unintended consequence; my so-called free app would no longer run.

It's bad enough to have in-app ads for free aps. That's usually a motivation for me to either buy the app or else get rid of it. This goes one step further. When I refused to login, the app didn't just exit, it reset my phone. When my phone gets reset a lot of other data gets reset, such as the web browser. If I've left the web browser on a page, or have multiple pages open, the browser is set back to a single page and the page points to T-Mobile's Web2Go page. Fortunately, it doesn't drop a call (while on hold, for example). But the behavior is bad enough.

The Angry Birds Rio app is now deleted. I didn't pay for it so nothing's lost, except the time wasted playing it. The Amazon App Store app is gone as well. If I need apps in the future I'll either side-load them or install them from the Android Marketplace.

For this and other reasons, Amazon is no longer my first go-to online store. I've been buying from Amazon since 1996, when I started buying books on-line. After 15 years and all the changes Amazon has gone through, Amazon has evolved into this tentacled monster that's trying to insert itself into my electronic devices, and I won't abide that. If having Amazon means they're surreptitiously a part of my electronic devices, snooping on what I do and when, then I don't want to have anything to do with them. I won't give up my privacy for a free game app, or any other app for that matter. The Google Marketplace doesn't seem to do that, but Amazon surely does.

All the free apps via Amazon App Store are gone. The Amazon App Store app itself is gone. Goodbye Amazon.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Decade Long Religious Con Job

I rarely write inflammatory (what some might call trolling) titles to a post, but this building you see before you deserves it. I've been seeing this building next to I-4 just east of Altamonte/436 and Crane's Roost for nearly 12 years, and never knew who owned it. Today on a trip up to Lake Mary with my wife I saw it yet again. That's when I told her I wanted to stop by on the way back and poke around the property, and photograph any parts of it if I could.

What I discovered was this still unfinished eighteen story (I counted) white elephant, overgrown with weeds and yet still under slow-motion construction. It looks impressive with its exterior glass curtain walls, but that impression is quickly lost when you see the unfinished lower stories and look inside to the unfinished interior spaces.

A quick check via Google leads to an article written in 2010 by the Orlando Sentinel about the Majesty Tower. Based on what I read in the article it's owned by SuperChannel 55 WA…

cat-in-a-box channels greta garbo

So I'm sitting at my computer, when I start to notice a racket in back. I ignore it for a while until I hear a load "thump!", as if something had been dropped on the floor, followed by a lot of loud rattling. I turn around and see Lucy in the box just having a grand old time, rolling around and rattling that box a good one. I grab the GX1 and snap a few shots before she notices me and the camera, then leaps out and back into her chair (which used to be my chair before she decided it was her chair).

Just like caring for Katie my black Lab taught me about dogs, caring for Lucy is teaching me about cats. She finds me fascinating, as I do her. And she expresses great affection and love toward me without coaxing. I try to return the affection and love, but she is a cat, and she takes a bat at me on occasion, although I think that's just her being playful. She always has her claws in when she does that.

She sits next to me during the evening in her chair while I sit in mi…

first night for the gingersnaps

The first night has passed and the two have managed to survive, in spite of what their tiny hearts might have thought when first arriving. Greebo, the larger of the two, has been in hiding the entire time so far. Ponder has spent the time zipping in and out of hiding spots, checking things out, and learning just how comfortable pillows are for resting your head.

During the night I felt the tiny body of Ponder hitting the bed as he leaped up on the side, and then climbed to the top to run around on top of me. At least once he play-attacked my fingers. He might be small but his claws are still quite sharp.

When I got up in the morning the bowl of cat kitten food was fairly well depleted. It's been refilled and fresh water put in the big dish on the floor. I'm assuming that both Greebo and Ponder are feeding and drinking. I have seen Greebo under the furniture peeking out at me when I went looking for him. I'm leaving him alone while he continues to adjust.

So far the guys h…