The Wednesday after DST

This is the last "oh, ain't DST awful" post. I seem to have overcome whatever it is I have with regards to "springing ahead" a bit more rapidly this year than in years past. I still don't like it, and I wish they'd do away with it entirely.

I spent most of the day at a kickoff meeting on one of my primary projects. I am now an official chairman of a working group. Which means I get to manage a number of folks who are already being tasked by others. Matrix management at its finest. And, of course, my other responsibilities, such as chief lab rat at my primary office.

I didn't get much time to photograph today. I had an 8am meeting, then a 10am meeting that lasted for the rest of the day, then a quick dodge back to my home office to check on the lab and the small class that was being conducted there.

The Dell E6510 seems to have settled into my schedule rather well. I've been promoted from Office 2007 to 2010. I've still got Altova software to install. I finally got Chrome 10 and Firefox 4 RC installed, and actually got both of them to sync from my old notebook to my new notebook. Syncing mostly worked, but the open tabs didn't transfer. Oh well.

Todays photos came after I got home and right before eating supper, then after walking the dogs. I love a dramatic sunset as much as anyone else, but this evening I greatly enjoyed the subtle pastels of the sundown with the minimal clouds.

Gentle sundown

I've started to take moon pictures tonight, and I'll continue through the 19th. March 19th is supposed to be a "supermoon". On that date the moon will be closest full moon of 2011. I've also read that some astrologers believe this will be disastrous. I'm curious to see if there'll be any difference in appearance on that date.

Three quarter moon 16 March 2011

The full moon photo was taken somewhat handheld with an impromptu monopod; the rake from the back yard. I stood the rake up in front of me, rested the foot of the 50-200mm lens on the top while gripping both in my left hand, and then guided the camera towards the moon and took the photo.

Both photos were taken with the Olympus E-1. The upper used the 12-60mm at 16mm, the lower used the 50-200mm at 200mm. For the technical types, the second photo was taken fully manual: 1/500s, f/5.6, ISO 100. I added the sepia tone in post, and added a little bit of black (4) to make the sky completely black and pick out some of the detail on the moon's surface.

I think I'm going to purchase the EC-14 for the 50-200mm so I can get a little more reach.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Decade Long Religious Con Job

Ten Reasons to Ignore Ten Reasons to Dump Windows and Use Linux

Former Eclipse user re-evaluates Eclipse 3.3M5