Skip to main content

Another Idyllic Day

Today was another near-perfect day. The temperatures were in the mid-70's, the breezes light and variable, and the front that had delivered the rainy weather earlier in the week had pushed through and scrubbed the skies a perfect clear blue.

I was also in a good mood because UPS had delivered my second Olympus E-1 body. I paid $200 for that body plus the SHLD-2 grip with battery on e-bay. After all the bids for E-1's I lost, this one was unreal. I was the first and only bidder, and it sat on e-bay for three days before the bid ended and I won. When I received all the kit, it was in mint-condition. There were only 1,700 shutter actuations, the firmware was at version 1.5 (the last and final version to be released), and there was no dust or marks on either the body or the SHLD vertical grip. This makes the second mint-condition E-1 I've purchased this year. The first was from KEH, and as good as that body was, this one from e-bay was even better.

According to the seller, he'd purchased the E-1 four years ago and used it once, primarily on a vacation. Then, a year later, he purchased an E-3, and the E-1 sat on the shelf until he put it up on e-bay to sell it. And then I won it. I guess it really is true that the good things come to those who wait, at least in this case. This marks the end of purchasing any new digital bodies, at least for the foreseeable future.

My daughter and I went to Leu Garden's today to enjoy and photograph. She took her E-1 and I took the other E-1 and my E-3. The E-P2 stayed home. On my E-1 I mounted the 12-60mm, on the E-3 I mounted the 50mm macro. My daughter had the 40-150mm MK2. During the day she got a chance to use the 50mm on her E-1. While she's been home I've been letting her try out all my lenses, just to get a feel for what's possible with the system. She's too young to be able to afford all I've collected, so I've been "loaning" bits to her to work with. When she goes back to FSU tomorrow, she'll be taking my 40-150mm Mk 2 back with her to supplement the original two kit lenses she got with my old E-300. Turns out that the Mk 2 works better with the E-1 than the Mk 1.

Here are a few of the images I managed to take today, some with the E-1, some with the E-3. Most are from Leu Gardens, but not all.

Sunlight dappled leaves
"Sunlight dappled leaves"
Olympus E-1 with Zuiko Digital 12-60mm
1/1000s, f/4.0, ISO 100, 55mm

Sitting in the garden
"Sitting in the garden"
Olympus E-1 with Zuiko Digital 12-60mm
1/1600s, f/4, ISO 100, 43mm

Purple flowers in the garden
"Purple flowers in the garden"
Olympus E-1 with Zuiko Digital 12-60mm
1/500s, f/4.5, ISO 200, 60mm

Orange flowers
"Orange flowers"
Olympus E-3 with Zuiko Digital 50mm Macro
1/500s, f/3.5, ISO 200

One of the elements that made the day so enjoyable for me was the smell of all the flowering bushes throughout the garden. And that seemed to attract quite a few bumble bees throughout the garden as well.

Bottlebrush and bees
"Bottlebrush and bumble bees"
Olympus E-3 with Zuiko Digital 50mm Macro
1/800s, f/4.5, ISO 200

It was wonderful to hear their soft buzzing, and to see them flitting from flower to flower. I haven't seen bees around my house in years; and it was equally wonderful to see them in such concentrations as I saw them today, especially in the middle of a major metropolitan area. It added to the pleasure of the garden.


Popular posts from this blog

A Decade Long Religious Con Job

I rarely write inflammatory (what some might call trolling) titles to a post, but this building you see before you deserves it. I've been seeing this building next to I-4 just east of Altamonte/436 and Crane's Roost for nearly 12 years, and never knew who owned it. Today on a trip up to Lake Mary with my wife I saw it yet again. That's when I told her I wanted to stop by on the way back and poke around the property, and photograph any parts of it if I could.

What I discovered was this still unfinished eighteen story (I counted) white elephant, overgrown with weeds and yet still under slow-motion construction. It looks impressive with its exterior glass curtain walls, but that impression is quickly lost when you see the unfinished lower stories and look inside to the unfinished interior spaces.

A quick check via Google leads to an article written in 2010 by the Orlando Sentinel about the Majesty Tower. Based on what I read in the article it's owned by SuperChannel 55 WA…

first night for the gingersnaps

The first night has passed and the two have managed to survive, in spite of what their tiny hearts might have thought when first arriving. Greebo, the larger of the two, has been in hiding the entire time so far. Ponder has spent the time zipping in and out of hiding spots, checking things out, and learning just how comfortable pillows are for resting your head.

During the night I felt the tiny body of Ponder hitting the bed as he leaped up on the side, and then climbed to the top to run around on top of me. At least once he play-attacked my fingers. He might be small but his claws are still quite sharp.

When I got up in the morning the bowl of cat kitten food was fairly well depleted. It's been refilled and fresh water put in the big dish on the floor. I'm assuming that both Greebo and Ponder are feeding and drinking. I have seen Greebo under the furniture peeking out at me when I went looking for him. I'm leaving him alone while he continues to adjust.

So far the guys h…

cat-in-a-box channels greta garbo

So I'm sitting at my computer, when I start to notice a racket in back. I ignore it for a while until I hear a load "thump!", as if something had been dropped on the floor, followed by a lot of loud rattling. I turn around and see Lucy in the box just having a grand old time, rolling around and rattling that box a good one. I grab the GX1 and snap a few shots before she notices me and the camera, then leaps out and back into her chair (which used to be my chair before she decided it was her chair).

Just like caring for Katie my black Lab taught me about dogs, caring for Lucy is teaching me about cats. She finds me fascinating, as I do her. And she expresses great affection and love toward me without coaxing. I try to return the affection and love, but she is a cat, and she takes a bat at me on occasion, although I think that's just her being playful. She always has her claws in when she does that.

She sits next to me during the evening in her chair while I sit in mi…