Another Friday Night

Full moon 18 March 2011
Nearly full moon, 18 March 2001

Tonights moon photo brought to you by the Olympus E-P2 with the Zuiko Digital 50-200mm mounted on it via a Panasonic DMW-MA1 adapter. I like the 50-200mm because it's got a nice hefty tripod collar, which makes it perfect for mounting on a tripod.

I zoomed out to 200mm. Using manual focus, I used the E-P2's focus assist to get as clear a focus as possible of the moon. If you look down at the lower left edge, you can still see a little bit of the terminator. Tomorrow nights moon should be fully illuminated.

You're looking at the full frame out of the camera. Try to crop any closer, and you wind up looking at a lot of grain, even if it is a 12MP sensor. What I need is a longer focal length lens (like a small telescope, for example). I'm looking for other options for this, such as a 600mm lens (35mm focal length) or longer. Ideally I'd like a lens/telescope that would fill up the sensor. I think the E-P2 would make a great back for such a system; small and light compared to either the E-1 or E-3.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Decade Long Religious Con Job

Ten Reasons to Ignore Ten Reasons to Dump Windows and Use Linux

Former Eclipse user re-evaluates Eclipse 3.3M5