Skip to main content

The Supermoon Ruined My Night at Universal

Supermoon 19 March 2011 - 5x Crop
Supermoon - 19 March 2011 - 5x crop

Well, there it is folks. The photo of the Supermoon of 19 March 2011. Right. Along with the bazillion other photos of the same subject floating through the Internets. And the overhelming majority much better than this I'm sure. (Update: A pixel-peeping 5x crop is now available for your viewing enjoyment).

Same camera setup and same settings as used last night, with one additional setting: I turned on anti-shock and set it for four seconds. That allowed me to compose, focus, and then let the whole camera/tripod assembly minimize any vibrations for four seconds before the shutter actually opened. All in an attempt to maximize clarity. Don't see much of a difference, if any, but then it probably didn't hurt, which is a Good Thing...

There's just one nit I have with my image. Besides the fact it's small, the terminator has started to creep into view on the upper left edge of the moon. Go ahead, zoom in, and you'll see a little tiny bit of raggedness. Which means that it was completely full from some other part of the globe, not over Orlando. How disappointing!

Before I went rushing out into the backyard to make my supermoon snap, the wife and I went out on a date under a romantic supermoon. We started our special evening at Cariera's Cucina Italiana using one of the Groupon coupons my lovely wife purchased earlier this month. She's gotten to be quite the Groupon groupee, purchasing $30 meal coupons for $15, and saving us a fair amount when we go out for lunch and dinner. I like it because I've got the Groupon Android app, which allows me to simply show the coupon's bar code to our waiter, who then applies it right there. I'm so cool...

Into Universal

When we finished our meal we headed out to Universal to take in another group and another Mardi Gras parade. I took the E-1 with the 12-60mm. I wanted to see how an eight-year-old DSLR would handle night-time photography. As it turned out, not too well.

Blurry Dancer

The only photo from the entire Mardi Gras sequence I cared for is the mostly blurry one above. It's kinda-sorta artistic, in that the face is mostly recognizable, and you can say that the blur is motion blur, which alludes to the activity of the performer on stilts. Yeah. Right. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

After the parade had passed, we tried to head over to the concert and catch the rest of it (Universal starts a concert as soon as the tail end of the parade passes the outdoor stage). Unfortunately for us, we got multiple directions by the grumpy Universal security staff, so that we (twice) were trying to get to the concert via an exit. We finally got tired of the surly treatment by Universal security staff, so we ended the evening just walking around the park, where I took some so-called artistic photos, and then we left. I'm pinning all of this on the deleterious effects of the supermoon, especially the surliness of the security staff. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Here's some of my "artistic" efforts from my Universal walk-a-bout in the dark.

Tassel Dancing

Mel's Drive-In Narrow

Mel's Drive-In Wide

Chili and Fries

Pantages

If you want strong, contrast-laden images, the E-1 is your camera. All of these came pretty much out of the camera as you see them. I did desaturate the oranges and reds a bit to drop the glare and enhance the details, but overall what you see is what I got. If you want more detail in the shadows, then the E-3 or later cameras are probably better suited to this. In fact it would be nice to rent an E-5 and try this again. Or maybe I should just admit defeat and buy a Nikon D3s (Canon be damned). Or maybe I should finally break down and learn how to extract what I need using Photoshop and layers. Whatever.

Everything was taken with full manual control, ISO 400. I bracketed when possible, or used my gut instinct when I couldn't. My gut instinct was right about 50% of the time, which means I'll carry a quarter next time to make my decision process faster as to what settings to use in manual mode.

It's almost midnight again, and I do need my beauty rest. So until next time, sleep tight and don't let the supermoon bite.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Decade Long Religious Con Job

I rarely write inflammatory (what some might call trolling) titles to a post, but this building you see before you deserves it. I've been seeing this building next to I-4 just east of Altamonte/436 and Crane's Roost for nearly 12 years, and never knew who owned it. Today on a trip up to Lake Mary with my wife I saw it yet again. That's when I told her I wanted to stop by on the way back and poke around the property, and photograph any parts of it if I could.

What I discovered was this still unfinished eighteen story (I counted) white elephant, overgrown with weeds and yet still under slow-motion construction. It looks impressive with its exterior glass curtain walls, but that impression is quickly lost when you see the unfinished lower stories and look inside to the unfinished interior spaces.

A quick check via Google leads to an article written in 2010 by the Orlando Sentinel about the Majesty Tower. Based on what I read in the article it's owned by SuperChannel 55 WA…

first night for the gingersnaps

The first night has passed and the two have managed to survive, in spite of what their tiny hearts might have thought when first arriving. Greebo, the larger of the two, has been in hiding the entire time so far. Ponder has spent the time zipping in and out of hiding spots, checking things out, and learning just how comfortable pillows are for resting your head.

During the night I felt the tiny body of Ponder hitting the bed as he leaped up on the side, and then climbed to the top to run around on top of me. At least once he play-attacked my fingers. He might be small but his claws are still quite sharp.

When I got up in the morning the bowl of cat kitten food was fairly well depleted. It's been refilled and fresh water put in the big dish on the floor. I'm assuming that both Greebo and Ponder are feeding and drinking. I have seen Greebo under the furniture peeking out at me when I went looking for him. I'm leaving him alone while he continues to adjust.

So far the guys h…

cat-in-a-box channels greta garbo

So I'm sitting at my computer, when I start to notice a racket in back. I ignore it for a while until I hear a load "thump!", as if something had been dropped on the floor, followed by a lot of loud rattling. I turn around and see Lucy in the box just having a grand old time, rolling around and rattling that box a good one. I grab the GX1 and snap a few shots before she notices me and the camera, then leaps out and back into her chair (which used to be my chair before she decided it was her chair).

Just like caring for Katie my black Lab taught me about dogs, caring for Lucy is teaching me about cats. She finds me fascinating, as I do her. And she expresses great affection and love toward me without coaxing. I try to return the affection and love, but she is a cat, and she takes a bat at me on occasion, although I think that's just her being playful. She always has her claws in when she does that.

She sits next to me during the evening in her chair while I sit in mi…