Redhat buys JBoss

Infoworld is reporting that Redhat has agreed to buy JBoss for USD$350 million, with another USD$70 million to be paid later if JBoss meets "meets certain performance goals." JBoss started life as a Java application server competing with similar offerings from Sun, BEA (WebLogic), and IBM. The big difference was that you JBoss started out as open source. My question is this: JBoss requires Java. What version of Java will Redhat ship to support JBoss? And will it ship Sun's, IBM's, or will it go the politically correct route and use gcj and Classpath to provide Java functionality? There is no easy answer, especially when you consider Sun's economic weakness.

And I wonder what performance goals JBoss is supposed to meet? Scalability? TPM? Under what environmental constraints? I've often wondered (but never had the time or resources) how JBoss stacks up against the commercial application servers. And I've often wondered how Linux compares to other operating systems as a platform for running Java server applications. I know from my own limited experience that Java desktop applications run smoother and look better on Windows than they do on Linux (and I'm comparing by dual booting between SuSE and Windows XP on my notebooks, a Gateway M680 and an M685).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Decade Long Religious Con Job

Ten Reasons to Ignore Ten Reasons to Dump Windows and Use Linux

Former Eclipse user re-evaluates Eclipse 3.3M5