I Can Drive 55 Now, part 2

I've discovered I can drive 55, and save reasonable cash in the process. By learning all over again to lighten the foot and to travel at 55 vs. 65 or 70, I managed to add 4 mpg to my last fillup, or average 21 mpg. My average before this past week of driving was 17 mpg street/highway. I know I said here that it was 22. But that was straight highway driving from Orlando to Tallahassee and back at speeds of 65 to 70 mph. Around Orlando I commute 50 miles round trip, driving down I-4 to the 408 and taking surface streets such as Conroy and Alafaya Trail. That's lots of stop-and-go driving mixed with highway speeding.

Although I still paid $49 at the pump for a fillup, I saved $11 compared to the last fillup. I'm hoping that these savings continue and that I won't forget yet again to drive easy rather than like a lead-footed bat out of hell. The only way to save further now is to work one day a week at home. If I were to do that I would save about $9/week. This extra saved from not driving, combined with the amount saved by driving slower, adds up to at least one less tank full/month. And considering that more gasoline price rises are inevitable, every little bit helps.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Decade Long Religious Con Job

Ten Reasons to Ignore Ten Reasons to Dump Windows and Use Linux

Former Eclipse user re-evaluates Eclipse 3.3M5