Monday, September 24, 2007

What were they thinking?

Got in this morning, read through my mail, checked on the latest work-related emergencies, then hit some of my favorite news sites. One spot I check on a regular basis is It's for folk who want to keep track on how Linux is being used throughout the electronics industry. One of the entries that caught my eye was a blurb about a new book Robert Love has published, the cover of which you may observe below. Which finally brings me to my point.

What were they thinking when they decided to put a Rube Goldberg non-flying machine on the front cover of the book? I guess somebody thought this was cute, but I cringe to look at it because it subtly and unfortunately implies two ideas; that programming Linux is poor and Linux itself is a Rube Goldberg collection of software subsystems wrapped up as a distribution. As the saying goes, never judge a book by its cover. But I'll probably wait until it arrives at a regular brick-and-mortar book store rather than rush right out and order it online. Just so I can look it over to make sure the contents are better than the cover. Even if it is written by Robert Love.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are checked. Comment SPAM will be blocked and deleted.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.