Democrats live up to their party symbol, Part 2

I would never watch what's unfolding here in Florida if it were a TV soap opera. I would never pay good money to see this as a movie. It's just so damned improbable. So I guess it's good to watch it all unfold right in front of me for free.

Here's the plot[sic]: Republican controlled state, struggling to go Democratic in the next presidential election, has its primary election date moved up to January 29th by the conniving Republican-controlled state legislature. The DNC, in response, decides to punish the minority Democrats for what the majority Republicans did. Got that?

It's enough to make a Democrat want to vote Republican. I guess that's what the DNC really wants. They don't want Florida any more. Their high-and-mighty self-righteous stance tends to stink a bit, especially when emanating from John Edwards of North Carolina:
The four [Iowa, Nevada, New Hampshire and South Carolina] "need to be first because in these states ideas count, not just money," Edwards said in a written statement. "This tried-and-true nominating system is the only way for voters to judge the field based on the quality of the candidate, not the depth of their war chest."
So I guess Floridian ideas don't count. Like a more comprehensive and affordable state-wide disaster insurance plan (We tend get the occasional hurricane in the state from time to time). Or all those other ideas in all those other states besides Iowa, Nevada, New Hampshire and South Carolina. Well, to hell with you Edwards. Ideas as well as votes count in Florida just like they do anywhere else. Besides, voting in January in Florida has got to be more pleasant than voting in January in New Hampshire. Or maybe this is just Edward's way of getting back at all those Florida Crackers who've retired north to the Florida Alps in North Carolina and ruined all those pristine North Carolina neighborhoods.

I worked hard for Gore, and then for Kerry, and voted for both in the firm belief they were the best candidates for the job. And I still believe that. But if this is how eight years of work and faith in the Democratic party are rewarded, then maybe it is time to move on. I'll be damned if I'll stand by as my state and I are humiliated by a bunch of prissy Yankee Democrats, even if one of them happens to be from North Carolina. Maybe I will vote Republican.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Decade Long Religious Con Job

Ten Reasons to Ignore Ten Reasons to Dump Windows and Use Linux

Former Eclipse user re-evaluates Eclipse 3.3M5