Skip to main content

9/11

It was another Tuesday six years ago when I stood in dumb horror, watching the twin towers of the World Trade Center burn and collapse on a TV monitor at the Lockheed/Martin plant where I was working. At the time I was an SAIC employee and SAIC was a subcontractor to LM-STS on the WARSIM program. The LM-STS facility on the east side of Orlando has large TVs scattered around the plant and around the office areas to keep everyone informed and to help in general communications.

On that day I was upstairs in building E1 in my cube, working on some sort of WARSIM issue (what I can't recall). A co-worker by the name of Rich Fuchs called my attention to one of the monitors in the area, and asked "Have you seen this?"

Once it sunk in what was unfolding I couldn't take my eyes off the TV for the next few hours, and neither could Rich. In fact (as I walked around during that time) nearly everyone was sitting or standing around the TVs or talking about what was happening. Nobody really knew the extent of the disaster, and we had no information until much later that it was a terrorist attack.

I remember that Rich and I went to lunch at a nearby Gators Dockside (a sports bar with lots of big TVs) to try and get away from the reporting, but Gators had every one of its TVs on the same CNN channel that was playing at the plant. So we ordered wings and ate a few, then went back to work to get away from Gators.

For the rest of the day (and the rest of the week) I walked around with a combination of cold fear and rage in the pit of my stomach, just waiting to see who it was and what would happen next. I'd like to write that I became a better American or a better person because of it, but who's to judge that? What I I can write is that 9/11 has fundamentally changed my view of the Middle East and Islam. And it's all for the worse. And absolutely nothing has occurred to change that view.

If anything, the bomb attacks on Madrid in 2004 and London in 2005, coupled with the ongoing slaughter of Iraqi on Iraqi only hardens my views and attitudes towards that region, its religion, and its people. I can't go and fight, but I can support our policies towards the region and our troupes in that region, and I can help to pay for the bullets they use to kill those bastards who attacked us and continue to threaten us. I hope we eventually kill them all.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

cat-in-a-box channels greta garbo

So I'm sitting at my computer, when I start to notice a racket in back. I ignore it for a while until I hear a load "thump!", as if something had been dropped on the floor, followed by a lot of loud rattling. I turn around and see Lucy in the box just having a grand old time, rolling around and rattling that box a good one. I grab the GX1 and snap a few shots before she notices me and the camera, then leaps out and back into her chair (which used to be my chair before she decided it was her chair).

Just like caring for Katie my black Lab taught me about dogs, caring for Lucy is teaching me about cats. She finds me fascinating, as I do her. And she expresses great affection and love toward me without coaxing. I try to return the affection and love, but she is a cat, and she takes a bat at me on occasion, although I think that's just her being playful. She always has her claws in when she does that.

She sits next to me during the evening in her chair while I sit in mi…

first night for the gingersnaps

The first night has passed and the two have managed to survive, in spite of what their tiny hearts might have thought when first arriving. Greebo, the larger of the two, has been in hiding the entire time so far. Ponder has spent the time zipping in and out of hiding spots, checking things out, and learning just how comfortable pillows are for resting your head.

During the night I felt the tiny body of Ponder hitting the bed as he leaped up on the side, and then climbed to the top to run around on top of me. At least once he play-attacked my fingers. He might be small but his claws are still quite sharp.

When I got up in the morning the bowl of cat kitten food was fairly well depleted. It's been refilled and fresh water put in the big dish on the floor. I'm assuming that both Greebo and Ponder are feeding and drinking. I have seen Greebo under the furniture peeking out at me when I went looking for him. I'm leaving him alone while he continues to adjust.

So far the guys h…

vm networking problem fixed

Over the weekend I upgraded to Windows 8.1, then discovered that networking for the virtual machines wouldn't work. Then I tried something incredibly simple and fixed the problem.

Checking the system I noticed that three VMware Windows services weren't running; VMnetDHCP, VMUSBArbService, and VMwareNatService. VMware Player allows you to install, remove, or fix an existing installation. I chose to try fixing the installation, and that fixed the problem. The services were re-installed/restarted, and the virtual machines had networking again.

Once network connectivity was established there was exactly one updated file for Ubuntu 13.10, a data file. This underscores how solid and finished the release was this time. Every other version of every other Linux installation I've ever dealt with has always been succeeded by boatloads of updates after the initial installation. But not this time.

Everything is working properly on my notebook. All's right with the world.