Notes from the field: MyTouch 4G

I've been on something of an extended rant lately against both Android and iOS. To balance the negative criticisms, I offer this positive note about living with the MyTouch 4G and Android 2.2.1.

One major reason for selecting the MyTouch was its advertised ability to act as an Internet network tether for my notebook. There are some remote work situations where I can find neither wired nor wireless (WiFi) connectivity for my Dell notebook.

With the MyTouch and T-Mobile's latest network offerings, I've discovered that I can achieve Internet connectivity by either enabling the hotspot (WiFi) capability of the handset or by enabling USB tethering (wired). In both cases, the network bitrate is actually quite good, and more importantly, I have nearly full connectivity. To make it really sweet, I can also keep the handset fully charged through the notebooks USB port while it's tethering (wired or wireless).

The only issue I have is I can't run VPN through the handset. That's not that big an issue as I can access all critical corporate resources via web pages. Otherwise, tethering is quite easy to configure and fast once it's set up. Praises to all concerned (HTC, Android, and T-Mobile) for making this capability so dead simple.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Decade Long Religious Con Job

Ten Reasons to Ignore Ten Reasons to Dump Windows and Use Linux

Former Eclipse user re-evaluates Eclipse 3.3M5