Skip to main content

Morning Speed Trap

Morning Speed Trap
"Morning Speed Trap"
Olympus E-3 with Zuiko Digital 50-200mm
1/800s, f/3.5, ISO 400, 200mm

On a tree-lined boulevard heading into work this morning, as I crested a small hill on north-bound Apopka/Vineland, I passed an Orange County sheriff, dressed in his brightest yellow-green vest, carefully targeting oncoming traffic with his trusty radar gun.

And I was prepared. I now carry my trusty E-3 with the Digital Zuiko 50-200mm constantly mounted on the body and sitting shotgun, so that I can quickly pull over to the side of the road if need be, grab the camera, step out, and take his picture while he's busy taking everybody elses.

That's what I like about that combination. It's heavy enough to be stable, and the 2x crop factor gives me an effective focal length of 400mm. That allows me to take the photo without getting to close and risking harassment, or worse.

The last thing I need is to be accused of interfering with police duties, but there's nothing to stop me from taking photographs of a public activity on a public thoroughfare. And I do this because I get sick and tired of the cyclical speeding traps. And it's not just on the side of the road. I counted four more pull-overs traveling east-bound on the 408 as well. One was FHP, and the rest were local (city/county) law enforcement.

Speed Trap: Wise Guys
"Speed Trap: Wise Guys"
Olympus E-3 with Zuiko Digital 50-200mm
1/250s, f/3.5, ISO 100, 200mm

And they don't seem to care. If I'm noticed I'll get stony looks, except in this one instance, where two of the three waved back. The officer on the right (the one not waving) is generally typical of the response I get. Which suits me. If it doesn't bother them then I don't mind documenting what I consider a waste of time and money all the way around.

Orange County Speed Trap 24 March 2010
"Orange County Speed Trap 24 March 2010"
Olympus E-3 with Zuiko Digital 50-200mm
1/4000s, f/4, ISO 400, 200mm

For whatever reason, Orange County loves to stake out the intersection of Corporate and Quadrangle Blvds. They'll either line up three or four motorcycles or cars (cars in this instance) and pick off the drivers coming west down Corporate.

Dribbled Swastika
"Dribbled Swastika"
Olympus E-P2 with M.Zuiko 14-42mm
1/125s, f/3.5, ISO 200, 14mm


It's more fun picking off speeders, and more lucrative. Orange County can't be bothered to find out who the vandals were that poured paint in the crude shape of a swastika on the street in front of my driveway last November 21st. They came out, took some photos for their scrapbook, and then took off. The only time I see them is when they're trying to pry cash out of my wallet while they're operating one of their speed traps.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Decade Long Religious Con Job

I rarely write inflammatory (what some might call trolling) titles to a post, but this building you see before you deserves it. I've been seeing this building next to I-4 just east of Altamonte/436 and Crane's Roost for nearly 12 years, and never knew who owned it. Today on a trip up to Lake Mary with my wife I saw it yet again. That's when I told her I wanted to stop by on the way back and poke around the property, and photograph any parts of it if I could.

What I discovered was this still unfinished eighteen story (I counted) white elephant, overgrown with weeds and yet still under slow-motion construction. It looks impressive with its exterior glass curtain walls, but that impression is quickly lost when you see the unfinished lower stories and look inside to the unfinished interior spaces.

A quick check via Google leads to an article written in 2010 by the Orlando Sentinel about the Majesty Tower. Based on what I read in the article it's owned by SuperChannel 55 WA…

first night for the gingersnaps

The first night has passed and the two have managed to survive, in spite of what their tiny hearts might have thought when first arriving. Greebo, the larger of the two, has been in hiding the entire time so far. Ponder has spent the time zipping in and out of hiding spots, checking things out, and learning just how comfortable pillows are for resting your head.

During the night I felt the tiny body of Ponder hitting the bed as he leaped up on the side, and then climbed to the top to run around on top of me. At least once he play-attacked my fingers. He might be small but his claws are still quite sharp.

When I got up in the morning the bowl of cat kitten food was fairly well depleted. It's been refilled and fresh water put in the big dish on the floor. I'm assuming that both Greebo and Ponder are feeding and drinking. I have seen Greebo under the furniture peeking out at me when I went looking for him. I'm leaving him alone while he continues to adjust.

So far the guys h…

cat-in-a-box channels greta garbo

So I'm sitting at my computer, when I start to notice a racket in back. I ignore it for a while until I hear a load "thump!", as if something had been dropped on the floor, followed by a lot of loud rattling. I turn around and see Lucy in the box just having a grand old time, rolling around and rattling that box a good one. I grab the GX1 and snap a few shots before she notices me and the camera, then leaps out and back into her chair (which used to be my chair before she decided it was her chair).

Just like caring for Katie my black Lab taught me about dogs, caring for Lucy is teaching me about cats. She finds me fascinating, as I do her. And she expresses great affection and love toward me without coaxing. I try to return the affection and love, but she is a cat, and she takes a bat at me on occasion, although I think that's just her being playful. She always has her claws in when she does that.

She sits next to me during the evening in her chair while I sit in mi…