A Day at the Dog Park

Profiles
"Profiles"
Olympus E-3 with Zuiko Digital 50-200mm
1/320s, f/5, ISO 100, 123mm
Today was a glorious day in Orlando. The weather was picture perfect. And so my wife and I gathered the little Labs in the Prius and drove out to the Dr. P. Phillips Community Park, just off of south Apopka/Vineland Road. The community park is a nice, well-kept community park with a trail, baseball diamond, picnic areas, and an enclosed dog park.

When we got there it was a little after 1pm, and the dog park section already had about a dozen dogs in attendance. Both of ours were eager (some might say desperate) to run in and meet-and-greet everyone. There were several other yellow Labs in there as well.

Ruby immediately went over and hung out with the other Labs. Max went over and hung out with the guys, which included a pit mix and several other large breeds I couldn't identify. Everybody mostly behaved, except towards the end, when I had to wade in and separate Max and two other dogs who were doing their best to hump one another simultaneously to prove their dominance.

I walked in with my E-3 and 50-200mm slung across my back, with the silly idea I could take some action shots our two and their interactions. Fat chance. I was too busy with leads and poop bags in hand, cleaning up messes and making sure to referee any issues. I can't blame our two; this is the first time Ruby's been in anything like a dog park, and years since Max was in one. It was a Big Deal for both. Maybe after a few more visits when they get a little more experience. I'm also going to need a small side bag to hold leads and other supplies to keep my hands free for photography.

The Peabody
"The Peabody"
Olympus E-3 with Zuiko Digital 50-200mm
1/1600s, f/5, ISO 100, 200mm

On the way back to the car I happened to look across the lake that the park sits next to, and recognized the back side of the Orange County Convention Center and The Peabody hotels beyond that. What's interesting is that when looking at the photograph, the details are distorted by the hot air rising from the ground.

After the park we drove about on some typical errands before heading home. The Labs loved the ride, as always.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Decade Long Religious Con Job

Ten Reasons to Ignore Ten Reasons to Dump Windows and Use Linux

Former Eclipse user re-evaluates Eclipse 3.3M5