Skip to main content

January Final

408 (31/365)
"408"
Olympus E-P2 with OM 50mm 1:1.4
1/2000s, f/8, ISO 400

I said when I started this that there would be a motley collection of images to come parading across these posts, that they'd probably look like crap. This post's image shows I'm keeping my promise.

When I left work today I drove south on Alafaya and then turned right onto Lake Underhill and followed it to Andes. I wanted to drive slowly enough to make sure I didn't miss anything on the way home, and Andes is the back road into the Executive Airport holding area for the blimps.

I got to the area, but it was empty. I felt a bit forlorn, which is a silly emotion to feel about a blimp not being there, but there you are. As I was driving back down Andes and under the 408, I happened to look up and see the dramatic light and shadow playing on the expressway as sundown approached. I liked it.

I used to look for scenes like this when I was in art school. I loved to draw in charcoal and pastels on fine toothed paper. This takes me back a few decades.

Statistics

This is my 43rd entry for the month of January. There's only one other month that has more entries: April 2006. Nearly five years ago. Back then I was writing heavily about Linux and its various distributions that I liked, the high and getting higher cost of gas, how Microsoft was so bad, and how Nokia's 770 was terrible.

Looking back five years it pains me to believe I wrote what I wrote in the way I wrote it. It's too late to remove it; I'm sure that there's a copy in some internet archive somewhere. But I doubt anyone would care enough to go digging it up.

The discipline of forcing myself to shoot at least one photo a day and then write at least one entry a day has actually been therapeutic. After a half-century of stupidly painful self-awareness, I'm finally learning to actually leave it behind. I no longer worry about what to write about; I just keep to the schedule, take the photograph, and then work to turn a photographic sow's ear into something approaching a silk purse. The critics be damned.

So, more of the same for the rest of 2011. The 365 project group I'm a part of has weekly themes. Up to this point I've ignore them, but I think I'll start following them now. This week's is bokeh. I get to work on my blurry technique. It should be fun.

Comments

  1. love the 50 ... wish I'd bought a 100mm back when I used full frame. Its shown me how much I like this lenght and effects

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All comments are checked. Comment SPAM will be blocked and deleted.

Popular posts from this blog

cat-in-a-box channels greta garbo

So I'm sitting at my computer, when I start to notice a racket in back. I ignore it for a while until I hear a load "thump!", as if something had been dropped on the floor, followed by a lot of loud rattling. I turn around and see Lucy in the box just having a grand old time, rolling around and rattling that box a good one. I grab the GX1 and snap a few shots before she notices me and the camera, then leaps out and back into her chair (which used to be my chair before she decided it was her chair).

Just like caring for Katie my black Lab taught me about dogs, caring for Lucy is teaching me about cats. She finds me fascinating, as I do her. And she expresses great affection and love toward me without coaxing. I try to return the affection and love, but she is a cat, and she takes a bat at me on occasion, although I think that's just her being playful. She always has her claws in when she does that.

She sits next to me during the evening in her chair while I sit in mi…

vm networking problem fixed

Over the weekend I upgraded to Windows 8.1, then discovered that networking for the virtual machines wouldn't work. Then I tried something incredibly simple and fixed the problem.

Checking the system I noticed that three VMware Windows services weren't running; VMnetDHCP, VMUSBArbService, and VMwareNatService. VMware Player allows you to install, remove, or fix an existing installation. I chose to try fixing the installation, and that fixed the problem. The services were re-installed/restarted, and the virtual machines had networking again.

Once network connectivity was established there was exactly one updated file for Ubuntu 13.10, a data file. This underscores how solid and finished the release was this time. Every other version of every other Linux installation I've ever dealt with has always been succeeded by boatloads of updates after the initial installation. But not this time.

Everything is working properly on my notebook. All's right with the world.

sony's pivotal mirrorless move

I'm a died-in-the-wool technologist, even when it comes to photography. I have always been fascinated with the technology that goes into manufacturing any camera, from the lenses (optics) through the mechanical construction, the electronics involved, and especially the chemistry of the film and the sophistication of the digital sensor. It's amazing that the camera can do all it's asked of it, regardless of manufacturer.

Of all the types of cameras that I've really taken an interest in, contemporary mirrorless (again, regardless of manufacturer) are the most interesting because of the challenging problems the scientists and engineers have had to solve in order to build a compact but highly functional camera. In particular I've followed the sensor advances over the years and watched image quality climb (especially with μ4:3rds) to exceed film and rival one another such that there's very little difference any more as you move from the smaller sensors such as 4:3r…