Looking at the Palm Parkway Construction, July 2012

Googlee Eyes
I dropped by to check on the progress of the new bridge being built across I-4 between Palm Parkway on the west side and lower International Drive on the east side. The area is being filled in with soil transported from other areas. It doesn't appear to be sand, but a very dark soil that reminds me of potting soil I might buy at Home Depot. If I had a civil engineer with me, he or she might give me a better clue. I don't think it would surprise me if the dark fill soil is in fact a richer soil that could be used to grow food. The more good soil we waste and cover, the less we have to grow anything, and most importantly, grow food to feed ourselves. I've been reading how the drought in the mid-West is pushing up futures for grain, which will push up food prices next year in the U.S. as well as trigger a repeat of middle-East uprisings due to crippling price rises in basic foods. With all that's happening to our farmland due to drought and erosion we're nuts to go around covering good productive soil over, or even worse, pilling it up and then covering it over.
Rush Hour

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Decade Long Religious Con Job

Ten Reasons to Ignore Ten Reasons to Dump Windows and Use Linux

Former Eclipse user re-evaluates Eclipse 3.3M5