Skip to main content

Canon Makes Ready to Release Another Blasé Camera

Under normal circumstances it's down right impossible to ignore a new, unannounced camera, especially if it's from one of the majors, in this instance Canon. Especially if the images are sitting in someone's Flickr stream. But after looking at the images on line and reading the minimal amount of specification information, my reaction to the new camera is "so what?"

It looks to be based on an APS-C class sensor, although some rumors have said it would re-use the Canon G1-X's sensor, Canon's 18mm by 14mm 4:3 aspect ration sensor (µ4/3rds is 17mm by 13mm). I believe it is APS-C because 22mm x 1.5 gives us 33mm, which is in the classic 35mm domain (Olympus' M.Zuiko 1:2.8/17mm is equivalent to 17mm x 2 or 34mm).
The zoom to be announced with the the body is identical, focal-length wise, to Sony's. Scrutinizing the lens in larger format, the filter size is 52mm, larger than Sony's zoom's 49mm filter size. That means this so-called compact zoom will be larger than Sony's, which was large enough.

I don't know if that's a metal mount or silver plastic at the base of the zoom. As I mentioned I don't know the apertures, but considering that the entrance lens is noticably larger than Sony's I would hope that it's maximimum apertures might run f/2.8 to f/4, rather than the typical (from all parties) f/3.5 to f/5.6. An extra stop of light-gathering speed at both ends would be nice to have. The 22mm (35mm equivalent) is a stop faster than the equivalent M.Zuiko, and a full stop faster than Sony's 1:2.8/16mm (24mm equivalent). Of course, the Sony lens has a much wider field of view than the Canon, but still, Sony could have produced an f/2 vs f/2.8, just like Olympus could have certainly produced an f/2 17mm instead of an f/2.8. Everybody seems to be in the mode to build cheap and charge dearly, including Olympus and Panasonic.

It is interesting to see this camera and its peripherals. This explains the step fall in prices for the Olympus E-P2, E-PL1, and E-PL2. Those cameras had hung at fairly high retail until April, when the prices took a step dive. Considering how Canon charges a pretty penny for mediocre results (the G1-X started at $800, and is now down about $100 to $700), I have a pretty good idea that it will come in around the $800 price range for the body and a lens.

Perhaps Canon will surprise me and release this camera as weather-sealed, with a magnesium internal body and some compelling feature to make me want to own one. I doubt that very much. And simply stamping "Canon" on the exterior isn't compelling enough either. If that were the case I'd be owning and using Canon DSLRs, and that ain't gonna happen, not in my lifetime.

Well, let's wait and see what turns up officially on Monday. I can wait. Really, I can.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

cat-in-a-box channels greta garbo

So I'm sitting at my computer, when I start to notice a racket in back. I ignore it for a while until I hear a load "thump!", as if something had been dropped on the floor, followed by a lot of loud rattling. I turn around and see Lucy in the box just having a grand old time, rolling around and rattling that box a good one. I grab the GX1 and snap a few shots before she notices me and the camera, then leaps out and back into her chair (which used to be my chair before she decided it was her chair).

Just like caring for Katie my black Lab taught me about dogs, caring for Lucy is teaching me about cats. She finds me fascinating, as I do her. And she expresses great affection and love toward me without coaxing. I try to return the affection and love, but she is a cat, and she takes a bat at me on occasion, although I think that's just her being playful. She always has her claws in when she does that.

She sits next to me during the evening in her chair while I sit in mi…

vm networking problem fixed

Over the weekend I upgraded to Windows 8.1, then discovered that networking for the virtual machines wouldn't work. Then I tried something incredibly simple and fixed the problem.

Checking the system I noticed that three VMware Windows services weren't running; VMnetDHCP, VMUSBArbService, and VMwareNatService. VMware Player allows you to install, remove, or fix an existing installation. I chose to try fixing the installation, and that fixed the problem. The services were re-installed/restarted, and the virtual machines had networking again.

Once network connectivity was established there was exactly one updated file for Ubuntu 13.10, a data file. This underscores how solid and finished the release was this time. Every other version of every other Linux installation I've ever dealt with has always been succeeded by boatloads of updates after the initial installation. But not this time.

Everything is working properly on my notebook. All's right with the world.

first night for the gingersnaps

The first night has passed and the two have managed to survive, in spite of what their tiny hearts might have thought when first arriving. Greebo, the larger of the two, has been in hiding the entire time so far. Ponder has spent the time zipping in and out of hiding spots, checking things out, and learning just how comfortable pillows are for resting your head.

During the night I felt the tiny body of Ponder hitting the bed as he leaped up on the side, and then climbed to the top to run around on top of me. At least once he play-attacked my fingers. He might be small but his claws are still quite sharp.

When I got up in the morning the bowl of cat kitten food was fairly well depleted. It's been refilled and fresh water put in the big dish on the floor. I'm assuming that both Greebo and Ponder are feeding and drinking. I have seen Greebo under the furniture peeking out at me when I went looking for him. I'm leaving him alone while he continues to adjust.

So far the guys h…