Skip to main content

Colors

EP164529

Since March of 2006 I have been a constant user of Olympus cameras, starting with the E-300, then moving on to the E-3, then the E-P2, and finally the E-1. During that period I used Olympus Master for post processing of JPEG output from the E-300 and E-3, then switched to Lightroom 3 for post processing of Raw from the E-3 forward. The abrupt switch from pure JPEG to (nearly) pure Raw was mid-2009, with the last six years roughly split between the two.

During that same time period I've used Olympus 4/3rds lenses exclusively with the lone notable exception of a Sigma 30mm. It wasn't until much much later that I started to mix in old OM lenses with the MF-1 adapter for 4/3rds and the MMF-1 adapter for µ4/3rds. Given my experiences of mixing lenses across all the bodies, I'd rather use native lenses designed for a given mount, and each lens has a unique color personality; different lenses on the same body, shooting the same scene, will usually require different handling if you want  the same results. Not always but usually.

During that time I've taken tens of thousands of photographs with all the cameras, the largest number with the E-P2. After six years, all those photographs, and all the years I've spent in post processing, especially with Lightroom, I believe I've finally reached a point where, at least technically, I'm happy with the results. Paradoxically I've learned that if I work with the camera and the light and scene in front of me most of the time I can live with the Raw results out of the camera with minimal intervention. Most, but not always.

Of the three photos, the first photo of bell peppers was the most heavily post processed. The original was taken with the Olympus E-P2 and M.Zuiko 45mm. Here are the steps I used to produce the final image in Lightroom 4.
  • Highlights -100
  • White Balance: Tungsten
  • White Clipping -50
  • Black Clipping -25
  • Shadows +25
  • Clarity +50
  • Sharpening +25
Everything else was left untouched. All those changes were to bring a certain clarity and color depth to the whole image. It might be nothing more than four different colored bell peppers at a Whole Foods store in Orlando, but to me, printed up and on the wall, it reminds of me all those colorful paintings I made back in the mid-1970s, using canvas and bold acrylic colors. I loved acrylic because its colors were far wilder than anything that oils could provide at the time. Acrylic reminded me of Kodachrome, my all time favorite film.


Yellow Hibiscus

These last two photos were taken in the backyard during the last few moments of the golden hour using an Olympus E-1 and a ZD 50mm macro lens. I used far less adjustments with these images than the bell peppers;
  • While Clipping +50 for the Mandevilla and +55 for the yellow Hibiscus
  • Shadows +50 for the Mandevilla and -25 for the yellow Hibiscus
  • Sharpening +25 for the Mandevilla and +10 for the yellow Hibiscus
  • Clarity +10 just for the yellow Hibiscus
The camera did the rest (or I should say, the Kodak sensor did the rest).

I'm curious to see what I can produce with the E-M5 using these same post tools and settings. I'm certainly no Lightroom expert, and I have no doubts that my tastes will horrify certain folks who look. For those who feel offended by my work, I apologize in advance. Give me enough time and practice and I'll probably evolve this color style (if you will) a bit more. But right now I enjoy enhancing and reveling in the emotion of the color I see. Life is chock full of strong colors. So should my photographs be.

Comments

  1. Wonderful photos as always Bill! By the way, I wonder what that 'clarity' slider might do technically - I don't have any Lightroom (not even using Windows anymore), so I cannot try to figure this out myself...

    About the E-M5: I downloaded the DPReview studio shot .orf file of it, and applying my usual workflow gives me slight oversharpening with my settings for the E-520 - but then, it's the same with an E-PL1. And yes, compared to an E-PL1 you can expect more fine detail in the results.

    Also downloaded some of those Focus Numérique raw files with firmware 0.95, and the quality really is amazing. Wish I could have attended that Amsterdam session, the model herself would have been worth the journey ;-) What was also impressive was the ISO 3200 raw file of that hotel lobby which I downloaded. Really usable low light shots sound pretty good to me...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All comments are checked. Comment SPAM will be blocked and deleted.

Popular posts from this blog

A Decade Long Religious Con Job

I rarely write inflammatory (what some might call trolling) titles to a post, but this building you see before you deserves it. I've been seeing this building next to I-4 just east of Altamonte/436 and Crane's Roost for nearly 12 years, and never knew who owned it. Today on a trip up to Lake Mary with my wife I saw it yet again. That's when I told her I wanted to stop by on the way back and poke around the property, and photograph any parts of it if I could.

What I discovered was this still unfinished eighteen story (I counted) white elephant, overgrown with weeds and yet still under slow-motion construction. It looks impressive with its exterior glass curtain walls, but that impression is quickly lost when you see the unfinished lower stories and look inside to the unfinished interior spaces.

A quick check via Google leads to an article written in 2010 by the Orlando Sentinel about the Majesty Tower. Based on what I read in the article it's owned by SuperChannel 55 WA…

first night for the gingersnaps

The first night has passed and the two have managed to survive, in spite of what their tiny hearts might have thought when first arriving. Greebo, the larger of the two, has been in hiding the entire time so far. Ponder has spent the time zipping in and out of hiding spots, checking things out, and learning just how comfortable pillows are for resting your head.

During the night I felt the tiny body of Ponder hitting the bed as he leaped up on the side, and then climbed to the top to run around on top of me. At least once he play-attacked my fingers. He might be small but his claws are still quite sharp.

When I got up in the morning the bowl of cat kitten food was fairly well depleted. It's been refilled and fresh water put in the big dish on the floor. I'm assuming that both Greebo and Ponder are feeding and drinking. I have seen Greebo under the furniture peeking out at me when I went looking for him. I'm leaving him alone while he continues to adjust.

So far the guys h…

cat-in-a-box channels greta garbo

So I'm sitting at my computer, when I start to notice a racket in back. I ignore it for a while until I hear a load "thump!", as if something had been dropped on the floor, followed by a lot of loud rattling. I turn around and see Lucy in the box just having a grand old time, rolling around and rattling that box a good one. I grab the GX1 and snap a few shots before she notices me and the camera, then leaps out and back into her chair (which used to be my chair before she decided it was her chair).

Just like caring for Katie my black Lab taught me about dogs, caring for Lucy is teaching me about cats. She finds me fascinating, as I do her. And she expresses great affection and love toward me without coaxing. I try to return the affection and love, but she is a cat, and she takes a bat at me on occasion, although I think that's just her being playful. She always has her claws in when she does that.

She sits next to me during the evening in her chair while I sit in mi…