The Passage of Time

Sunshine on my Shoulder

You reach a point in your life when the saying "there are more days behind me than in front of me" really means that. Time and biology combine to work their inevitable alchemy on your body, leaving you with thinning hair, an expanding waistline, increasing wrinkles, and wattles of flesh about the neck. Even the mind begins to loose it's capabilities; facts are lost, and the limber mental gymnastics you used to perform in pursuit of the furtherance of your carrier grow ever more difficult.

As a Christian my faith is supposed to be strong enough not to let the thought of death bother me. But my faith, like the rest of me, is imperfect at best, and like my flesh grows more feeble as time passes. The root of my faith isn't in me so much as in my lovely wife, the woman who's health disability has caused her far more physical suffering than I've ever experienced. The woman with three back operations, who had to have her left knee replaced twice because the first operation left a colony of MRSA that eventually grew and put her in the hospital with a constant temperature of 103. A woman who suffered from this and far more. In spite of all of that her faith is still strong, far stronger than mine.

The 28th of October is her birthday, the start of a four day celebration that ends on Halloween. I won't say how old she is, out of decades of growing respect and love. I hope she's with me for a lot more birthdays. For on the day she passes on, she'll more than likely take me with her.

Comments

  1. Great picture and great post. I hope your wife had a wonderful Birthday and may she have many more. It's funny that you post about 'the passage of time' as that has been on my mind a lot lately with major transitions about to take place in my life. Transitions for the better I hope in a quest to simplify life and to jump off of the treadmill of work, buy, work, buy. Time is suddenly becoming more important than stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, great photo and a great article, like Thomas said. Happy birthday to your wife, Bill.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been following your blog for quite some time. I originally found it googling on Linux reviews (miss those btw.) A love like yours is very rare and I wish you and your wife the very best of health in the days to come.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely article and amazing photo.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All comments are checked. Comment SPAM will be blocked and deleted.

Popular posts from this blog

A Decade Long Religious Con Job

Ten Reasons to Ignore Ten Reasons to Dump Windows and Use Linux

Former Eclipse user re-evaluates Eclipse 3.3M5