Skip to main content

We've Been Down This Path Before

Camedia C-8080 circa 2004
With all the sturm und drang expressed over the release of the E-P3 and it's two lesser siblings, you'd think this was all new with regards to Olympus. Not exactly.

Olympus has been in the camera business a long, long time, stretching back to the early 20th century. They have a habit, and a good habit, of dipping back into their past for inspiration. They've done this twice already with the Pens, first with the film Pens for the OM film series and more directly for the digital Pens which include the E-P3.

But in between the hallowed OM series and the controversial digital Pens, there were a series of all-in-one cameras that Olympus made, the Camedia series.

Olympus E-1 with 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 zoom circa 2003
The one to the top right, the C-8080, was introduced at PMA 2004. Keep in mind that the Olympus E-1, the first FourThirds camera in the E-Volt line, was introduced September 2003. It's hard to say who influenced whom, but you can certainly see the family lines in both camera's designs.

You can also see from the photos that the C-8080 fits easily into the same hand that is required to hold the E-1 by its grip. I'm not complaining about the size of the E-1; I love the way it fits in my hands. I'm just saying that Olympus knows how to build rugged small cameras that can easily fit all in one hand like the C-8080.

What makes the C-8080 interesting are its pro-level features:

  • Magnesium allow body
  • 5-to-1 fast zoom 7.1-35.6mm 1:2.4-3.5
  • Auto-focus and A/F assist lamp
  • Multiple metering modes
  • Shutter speeds up to 1/4000s
  • Electronic viewfinder
  • Uses the BLM-1 battery (same as E-5x0, E-1, E-3x0, E-3, E-30, and E-5)

The C-8080 sensor was a Sony 2/3" CCD model that accommodated ISOs from 50 to 400 and provided 8mp images. It also recorded simple video of 640 x 480 and 320 x 240 resolution at 15fps. Not quite HDMI, but it was a nice, rugged, hi-res stills and video camera with one of the best zooms on the market at the time it was released. Even the fixed zoom lens was top shelf. The equivalent FourThirds lens would have been from 14-70mm. The two closest FourThird zooms that Olympus has manufactured are the HG 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 and the HG 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.

Why would I care about the old C-8080? Because of the promise of a pro-spec µFourThirds body sometime in the not-to-distant future. I've heard a lot of talk about bringing the E-1 up to spec for the regular FourThirds. In the same vein I'd like to see the C-8080 brought up to µFourThirds spec.

The C-8080 body is deep enough to allow the inclusion of the FourThirds sensor and the µFourThirds lens mount. I would love a pro-spec digital Pen built along the same lines as the C-8080 with a magnesium body and a grip large enough to hold a BLM-1 for longer shooting. The C-8080 shows that Olympus is more than capable of delivering such a form-factor camera. I'd buy a camera built this way in a cold New Your minute, a damn sight faster than the E-P3. Even if they manufactured a C-8080 class µFourThirds camera with an equivalent fixed-mount 14-70mm 1:2.8-3.5 zoom, I'd still be eager to buy it.

Now all Olympus has to do is execute. While I wait and wonder.

Comments

  1. I had a C-5050. It served me well for many years. I even spent some time diving with it. I've since passed it on to another diver.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All comments are checked. Comment SPAM will be blocked and deleted.

Popular posts from this blog

A Decade Long Religious Con Job

I rarely write inflammatory (what some might call trolling) titles to a post, but this building you see before you deserves it. I've been seeing this building next to I-4 just east of Altamonte/436 and Crane's Roost for nearly 12 years, and never knew who owned it. Today on a trip up to Lake Mary with my wife I saw it yet again. That's when I told her I wanted to stop by on the way back and poke around the property, and photograph any parts of it if I could.

What I discovered was this still unfinished eighteen story (I counted) white elephant, overgrown with weeds and yet still under slow-motion construction. It looks impressive with its exterior glass curtain walls, but that impression is quickly lost when you see the unfinished lower stories and look inside to the unfinished interior spaces.

A quick check via Google leads to an article written in 2010 by the Orlando Sentinel about the Majesty Tower. Based on what I read in the article it's owned by SuperChannel 55 WA…

first night for the gingersnaps

The first night has passed and the two have managed to survive, in spite of what their tiny hearts might have thought when first arriving. Greebo, the larger of the two, has been in hiding the entire time so far. Ponder has spent the time zipping in and out of hiding spots, checking things out, and learning just how comfortable pillows are for resting your head.

During the night I felt the tiny body of Ponder hitting the bed as he leaped up on the side, and then climbed to the top to run around on top of me. At least once he play-attacked my fingers. He might be small but his claws are still quite sharp.

When I got up in the morning the bowl of cat kitten food was fairly well depleted. It's been refilled and fresh water put in the big dish on the floor. I'm assuming that both Greebo and Ponder are feeding and drinking. I have seen Greebo under the furniture peeking out at me when I went looking for him. I'm leaving him alone while he continues to adjust.

So far the guys h…

cat-in-a-box channels greta garbo

So I'm sitting at my computer, when I start to notice a racket in back. I ignore it for a while until I hear a load "thump!", as if something had been dropped on the floor, followed by a lot of loud rattling. I turn around and see Lucy in the box just having a grand old time, rolling around and rattling that box a good one. I grab the GX1 and snap a few shots before she notices me and the camera, then leaps out and back into her chair (which used to be my chair before she decided it was her chair).

Just like caring for Katie my black Lab taught me about dogs, caring for Lucy is teaching me about cats. She finds me fascinating, as I do her. And she expresses great affection and love toward me without coaxing. I try to return the affection and love, but she is a cat, and she takes a bat at me on occasion, although I think that's just her being playful. She always has her claws in when she does that.

She sits next to me during the evening in her chair while I sit in mi…