Skip to main content

Buying Cameras: Starting Out

Starting in photography has never been easier than it is now. There's a huge amount of great resources that are available for free, lots of books in any bookstore, and plenty of classes and clubs to join. Yet at the same time the recent surge of interest in photography means that it has never been more difficult to buy that first camera. There's simply too many models out there, and it's hard to sort out the differences between them and know what actually matters.

With that in mind, here are some practical suggestions to guide your process.


Buy the biggest camera that you'll actually use. Photography is a series of compromises, and larger cameras will typically have better controls, more features, and larger image sensors. So the bigger the camera, the better the results – but only if you have it with you. A monster SLR with exotic lenses is useless if it's sitting at home, while a mediocre cell phone camera might be worth a fortune if the right celebrity stumbles out of a bar in the early hours of the morning.

The way a camera feels is very important. Try them out in person sooner rather than later: there's no point reading every review ever written only to discover that the grip is too small or too big. If you're fortunate enough to have a good camera store in your area, find a salesperson who can show you the different models and provide useful guidance. Needless to say, when it's time to buy you should return the favour and support them even if it costs a few dollars more.

Be realistic about the relationship between cost, features, and quality and you won't be disappointed at any price. Some people won't want to spend more than $100 on a camera, while others use tripods that cost ten times that much. But as a general guide, expect to pay a couple hundred dollars for any compact camera that's worth having, and add a hundred more for features like a really long zoom lens or waterproofing.

Entry-level SLRs generally start around five hundred dollars, and the smaller Mirrorless Interchangeable Lens Format cameras can be a bit cheaper than that. On the higher end of the range, cameras can easily cost thousands fo dollars, or tens of thousands – but unless you know exactly why these are better then the differences between those and a good entry-level camera will hardly matter. It's not that the differences aren't important, but they're only really important to very few people. The effect of diminishing returns is very strong.

It makes sense to use the same brand as the people you know. Whether it's the ability to borrow equipment or share knowledge, there's strength in numbers. This is about the only time the long-running "Canon or Nikon" rivalry will actually matter for anyone who's just starting out.


With luck this should be enough to narrow down the market to only a few models. If you like one of them enough to go ahead and buy it, great. If not, or if you know you'll want to build a system instead of just buying a camera, there are a few more things to think about. I look at that in Part Two.


Matthew Robertson writes for the popular website `thewsreviews, and pays the bills by working part-time in a camera store. When he's not actively working with cameras, he's usually reading about them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

cat-in-a-box channels greta garbo

So I'm sitting at my computer, when I start to notice a racket in back. I ignore it for a while until I hear a load "thump!", as if something had been dropped on the floor, followed by a lot of loud rattling. I turn around and see Lucy in the box just having a grand old time, rolling around and rattling that box a good one. I grab the GX1 and snap a few shots before she notices me and the camera, then leaps out and back into her chair (which used to be my chair before she decided it was her chair).

Just like caring for Katie my black Lab taught me about dogs, caring for Lucy is teaching me about cats. She finds me fascinating, as I do her. And she expresses great affection and love toward me without coaxing. I try to return the affection and love, but she is a cat, and she takes a bat at me on occasion, although I think that's just her being playful. She always has her claws in when she does that.

She sits next to me during the evening in her chair while I sit in mi…

first night for the gingersnaps

The first night has passed and the two have managed to survive, in spite of what their tiny hearts might have thought when first arriving. Greebo, the larger of the two, has been in hiding the entire time so far. Ponder has spent the time zipping in and out of hiding spots, checking things out, and learning just how comfortable pillows are for resting your head.

During the night I felt the tiny body of Ponder hitting the bed as he leaped up on the side, and then climbed to the top to run around on top of me. At least once he play-attacked my fingers. He might be small but his claws are still quite sharp.

When I got up in the morning the bowl of cat kitten food was fairly well depleted. It's been refilled and fresh water put in the big dish on the floor. I'm assuming that both Greebo and Ponder are feeding and drinking. I have seen Greebo under the furniture peeking out at me when I went looking for him. I'm leaving him alone while he continues to adjust.

So far the guys h…

vm networking problem fixed

Over the weekend I upgraded to Windows 8.1, then discovered that networking for the virtual machines wouldn't work. Then I tried something incredibly simple and fixed the problem.

Checking the system I noticed that three VMware Windows services weren't running; VMnetDHCP, VMUSBArbService, and VMwareNatService. VMware Player allows you to install, remove, or fix an existing installation. I chose to try fixing the installation, and that fixed the problem. The services were re-installed/restarted, and the virtual machines had networking again.

Once network connectivity was established there was exactly one updated file for Ubuntu 13.10, a data file. This underscores how solid and finished the release was this time. Every other version of every other Linux installation I've ever dealt with has always been succeeded by boatloads of updates after the initial installation. But not this time.

Everything is working properly on my notebook. All's right with the world.