The Silly Season

The Grand Old Party Four Ring Circus (Romney, Gingrich, Santorum, and Paul) came ramblin' into Florida after the wild show they put on in South Carolina. They held one political performance art installation in Tampa Tuesday, and they'll hold a second Thursday evening. Then the Florida Republicans will vote next Tuesday which of them entertained best. I hope the Florida Republicans can count better than the Iowa Republicans. But we Floridians, since 2000, really have no room to comment about how votes are tallied elsewhere by others.

In the meantime the economy seems to swerve and spin and eddy like a slow moving stream in a swamp, with a lot of trash churning around in it. Junk seems to slowly rise to the surface, while other junk slowly sinks out of site. And so it is with the little slice of economy on University at the entrance to UCF.

These three businesses are opening where three former businesses used to be.

New Centra Care

The Centra Care went in where a private walk-in clinic used to sit for years. I know it was there because I had to go pee in a cup there sometime around the mid-1990s for a drug test. I passed the drug test, but never went to work for the company that asked for it. I basically turned the job down when they called me to tell me I'd passed the drug test, at which time I told them what I thought of their interview process and drug testing procedure. This was so I could be a software engineer.

Former Don Pablos, now a Buffalo Wild Wings

Buffalo Wild Wings used to be a Don Pablos. All but one of the Don Pablos are now closed and reclaimed by other businesses. Buffalo Wild Wings is unique in that they built an extension that looks like a garage complete with roll-up doors. The extension covers what used to be the front of the building and all the parking slots across the front. What did they put in there? A big sports bar. I have no idea what else is in the rest of the building. I'd say it's a good place to go there, but the one and only time any group from my office went there for lunch, it took them an hour and a half to get seated, waited on, and served. Since that time no-one's been back. Oh, and before it was a Bufallos, it was a cheap local bar with a very cheap sign for nearly two years.

Backyard Burger goes out, Jimmy Hulas comes in

This used to be a Backyard Grill. I've been so busy I didn't know it'd gone out of business, but I can say this; it was out of business the shortest of any on University. I have no idea what the place is like, but if it's yet another bar I doubt I'll drop in any time soon. Going east on University from Bufallo, there are at least five major bars that I know of; Buffalo, Houlihans, World of Beer, Tilted Kilt, and this one, Jimmy Hulas. I know the college crowd can drink, but I don't think they can drink all that much.

There are still lots of empty buildings in this area, especially away from University Blvd, but at least there's a bit of life on University.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Decade Long Religious Con Job

Ten Reasons to Ignore Ten Reasons to Dump Windows and Use Linux

Former Eclipse user re-evaluates Eclipse 3.3M5