Skip to main content

Another Day, Another Dead Business

Former Friendly's

I missed this one. Friendly's declared Chapter 11 last September and closed 66 stores in the process. This store, at the intersection of University and Alafaya, was one of the 66. I'd eaten there a number of times in the past, but I hadn't been there for some time. So many have gone bust that I've grown rather numb to the whole process. Fortunately, every business along University that has gone out has been re-opened with something else.

Friendly's Empty Interior

Former Shell Station

That is, except for this former Chevron station that's been an empty lot on the corner, next to the former Friendly's, for nearly three years. This is a view across the property where the gas pumps used to stand. The close, larger circular plates on the ground are the access ports to the underground tanks that fed the pumps.

Land Clearing Tools

And yet a new business is going up a block west of all of this, at the corner of University and Quadrangle Blvd. This used to be a heavily wooded lot I wrote about in 2010, a small piece of remaining wetlands, that was cleared and then left alone for most of 2011. Now it looks like somebody is finally going in there.

I took on a contrarian mood today. I've been swimming in all the announcements, and accompanying excitement, over the release of new cameras from Nikon, Canon, and Fuji. And I started to think I could buy one of the newly announced cameras (not the Nikon D4). And then I started to think about all I currently have. And then the overcast skies settled over that end of town, and as I started to drive home from the office I started to see the changes in the environment I'd seemingly missed, or outright ignored. And I started to feel a certain degree of personal guilt, and a little shame.

it probably doesn't help that I've been watching the 2004's "The Manchurian Candidate" with Liev Schreiber, Denzel Washington, and Meryl Streep. It's a dystopian view of our future, a wonderfully paranoid view of too few men with too much money and power trying to control it all. In light of all that's occurred since that movie was released I sometimes wonder if it's too uncomfortably close to the truth. With us now in the 2012 presidential season that movie resonates and rattles around in my head now more than ever.

To me the real reason to own my cameras is to use them to document my environment as much as possible, warts and all. You don't need expensive cameras to do that. Just cameras that are Good Enough and motivation.

Comments

  1. Even in a booming economy, I'm pretty sure that Friendly's would have been doomed. That place has been on a decline for a while. When I was a kid our father would take us there. That was when the food was good, but I think that food all over was of much better quality than what is served in today's chain restaurants. Still, I'll miss the Fribble Shake®, Jim Dandy®, and my personal childhood fave: the Deep Dish Apple Pie Sundae® :(

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All comments are checked. Comment SPAM will be blocked and deleted.

Popular posts from this blog

A Decade Long Religious Con Job

I rarely write inflammatory (what some might call trolling) titles to a post, but this building you see before you deserves it. I've been seeing this building next to I-4 just east of Altamonte/436 and Crane's Roost for nearly 12 years, and never knew who owned it. Today on a trip up to Lake Mary with my wife I saw it yet again. That's when I told her I wanted to stop by on the way back and poke around the property, and photograph any parts of it if I could.

What I discovered was this still unfinished eighteen story (I counted) white elephant, overgrown with weeds and yet still under slow-motion construction. It looks impressive with its exterior glass curtain walls, but that impression is quickly lost when you see the unfinished lower stories and look inside to the unfinished interior spaces.

A quick check via Google leads to an article written in 2010 by the Orlando Sentinel about the Majesty Tower. Based on what I read in the article it's owned by SuperChannel 55 WA…

first night for the gingersnaps

The first night has passed and the two have managed to survive, in spite of what their tiny hearts might have thought when first arriving. Greebo, the larger of the two, has been in hiding the entire time so far. Ponder has spent the time zipping in and out of hiding spots, checking things out, and learning just how comfortable pillows are for resting your head.

During the night I felt the tiny body of Ponder hitting the bed as he leaped up on the side, and then climbed to the top to run around on top of me. At least once he play-attacked my fingers. He might be small but his claws are still quite sharp.

When I got up in the morning the bowl of cat kitten food was fairly well depleted. It's been refilled and fresh water put in the big dish on the floor. I'm assuming that both Greebo and Ponder are feeding and drinking. I have seen Greebo under the furniture peeking out at me when I went looking for him. I'm leaving him alone while he continues to adjust.

So far the guys h…

cat-in-a-box channels greta garbo

So I'm sitting at my computer, when I start to notice a racket in back. I ignore it for a while until I hear a load "thump!", as if something had been dropped on the floor, followed by a lot of loud rattling. I turn around and see Lucy in the box just having a grand old time, rolling around and rattling that box a good one. I grab the GX1 and snap a few shots before she notices me and the camera, then leaps out and back into her chair (which used to be my chair before she decided it was her chair).

Just like caring for Katie my black Lab taught me about dogs, caring for Lucy is teaching me about cats. She finds me fascinating, as I do her. And she expresses great affection and love toward me without coaxing. I try to return the affection and love, but she is a cat, and she takes a bat at me on occasion, although I think that's just her being playful. She always has her claws in when she does that.

She sits next to me during the evening in her chair while I sit in mi…