Afternoon Walkabout

The youngest came down to visit with mom and dad for a few days this past week. We missed her at Christmas because she'd traveled to New Your. She made a promise to help a friend drive up to New York. The deal was she'd help with driving up and down, would pay very little, and would stay at the friend's parent's house to really keep costs down. While she was up there she'd get to see New Your city. She'd never been to New York before then, so she jumped at the chance for a road trip to exotic New Your. And I can understand that.

But she had gifts down here from her folks and relatives, and she was getting home sick, so when work allowed she rented a car and drove down to Orlando on Tuesday. The next two days were somewhat hectic as she worked to take care of personal business and visit a high school and  later college friend. She also decided to spend a few hours photographing with her old man. And so on Thursday afternoon she loaded up with her E-1 and I loaded up with my E-P2 and we headed out to Downtown Disney.

I love the winter light in central Florida. The sun sits rather low on the horizon through a good part of the day. It's a warm, rich, more diffuse light, that the hard overhead light you have to deal with in the middle of summer. And so when we started walking about around 1pm, the light was almost perfect.

Planet Hollywood

I've never been inside Planet Hollywood before, and looking at it from the outside, I can't think of any reason why I would go inside. Nevertheless under certain circumstances and at certain angles it looks interesting.

Study in Blue, Yellow, and Red

A short walk from Planet Hollywood is a large yellow tethered balloon. In all the years I've lived here and all the years it's been here, I've never gone up for a ride. In the early afternoon light I was captivated by the shapes and saturated colors of the sky, balloon, and the umbrella tops.

Waiting to be Seated

As we wondered around the back on West Side Lakefront Walk, I came across the back of a group of buildings that included The House of Blues. Something about the light, the chairs, and the colors...

Faces

And then we stepped into Cirque Du Soleil gift shop to "appreciate" the air conditioning and look at what they had to sell. I saw these masks at just this angle, and well, I had to experiment with the light and composition.

Flying Through Stars

On the way back to the parking lot we stopped off at the Hoy Poloi art shop, where I happened to come across this simple wooden model of the Space Shuttle. Set the 45mm to f/1.8, focus on the nose, and it looks like it's floating across a sea of stars in space.

Flying Minnies

We almost made it out to the parking lot before the smell of mint fudge drew my daughter into the Candy Cauldron. Dad doesn't need that kind candy, but I didn't have any problem with my daughter getting a huge block of it. While she was waiting for her fudge I happened upon all these Minnie toys in a bin. Brings back lots of memories when both girls were small enough to actually want Minnie toys.

Technical

Everything taken with the E-P2 and post processed in Lightroom 3.5. The balloon was taken with the Panasonic 20mm, while everything else was taken with the M.Zuiko 45mm.

Comments

  1. Nice photos, and great light and colors, you're right Bill. Would have been interesting to see some your daughter took as well. But I like the way you look at and see things.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All comments are checked. Comment SPAM will be blocked and deleted.

Popular posts from this blog

A Decade Long Religious Con Job

Ten Reasons to Ignore Ten Reasons to Dump Windows and Use Linux

Former Eclipse user re-evaluates Eclipse 3.3M5