Skip to main content

Oakland

There's not a lot more to say about what's been happening in Oakland that hasn't already been said by far better writers than I. What I've done is collect the three most chilling and moving images from the night of 28 October of the police rage against unarmed American citizenry.

Yeah, you all look real cool in your riot suits.

Scot Olsen lies bleeding and stunned after being deliberately hit in the head with a tear-gas canister.

Does it make you feel good to gas a handicapped person in their wheel chair?

Other links worth reading and following;

Occupy Oakland seeks strike after Scott Olsen injury - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2053502/Occupy-Oakland-Protesters-streets-NYC-solidarity-Scott-Olsen.html

Why did police officer fire gas canister into crowd trying to help injured Iraq veteran? - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2053502/Occupy-Oakland-Protesters-streets-NYC-solidarity-Scott-Olsen.html

Occupy Oakland: Mayor Quan Issues Contrite Statement after Police Crackdown - http://blog.sfgate.com/aallison/2011/10/27/occupy-oakland-mayor-quan-issues-contrite-statement-after-police-crackdown/

Rogue Drummers, Disobedient Cops, Oakland Evictions: An Occupy Round-Up - http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2011/10/occupy-round-up/

Oakland Protesters Converge On Port - http://www.npr.org/2011/11/02/141947731/thousands-march-in-oakland-gearing-up-for-strike

Occupy Oakland: second Iraq war veteran injured after police clashes - http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/nov/04/occupy-oakland-second-veteran-injured

Occupy Oakland’s General Strike Veers Between Violence, Generosity - http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2011/11/occupy-oakland-general-strike/all/1

Some 15% of U.S. Uses Food Stamps - http://blogs.wsj.com/economics/2011/11/01/some-15-of-u-s-uses-food-stamps/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Decade Long Religious Con Job

I rarely write inflammatory (what some might call trolling) titles to a post, but this building you see before you deserves it. I've been seeing this building next to I-4 just east of Altamonte/436 and Crane's Roost for nearly 12 years, and never knew who owned it. Today on a trip up to Lake Mary with my wife I saw it yet again. That's when I told her I wanted to stop by on the way back and poke around the property, and photograph any parts of it if I could.

What I discovered was this still unfinished eighteen story (I counted) white elephant, overgrown with weeds and yet still under slow-motion construction. It looks impressive with its exterior glass curtain walls, but that impression is quickly lost when you see the unfinished lower stories and look inside to the unfinished interior spaces.

A quick check via Google leads to an article written in 2010 by the Orlando Sentinel about the Majesty Tower. Based on what I read in the article it's owned by SuperChannel 55 WA…

cat-in-a-box channels greta garbo

So I'm sitting at my computer, when I start to notice a racket in back. I ignore it for a while until I hear a load "thump!", as if something had been dropped on the floor, followed by a lot of loud rattling. I turn around and see Lucy in the box just having a grand old time, rolling around and rattling that box a good one. I grab the GX1 and snap a few shots before she notices me and the camera, then leaps out and back into her chair (which used to be my chair before she decided it was her chair).

Just like caring for Katie my black Lab taught me about dogs, caring for Lucy is teaching me about cats. She finds me fascinating, as I do her. And she expresses great affection and love toward me without coaxing. I try to return the affection and love, but she is a cat, and she takes a bat at me on occasion, although I think that's just her being playful. She always has her claws in when she does that.

She sits next to me during the evening in her chair while I sit in mi…

first night for the gingersnaps

The first night has passed and the two have managed to survive, in spite of what their tiny hearts might have thought when first arriving. Greebo, the larger of the two, has been in hiding the entire time so far. Ponder has spent the time zipping in and out of hiding spots, checking things out, and learning just how comfortable pillows are for resting your head.

During the night I felt the tiny body of Ponder hitting the bed as he leaped up on the side, and then climbed to the top to run around on top of me. At least once he play-attacked my fingers. He might be small but his claws are still quite sharp.

When I got up in the morning the bowl of cat kitten food was fairly well depleted. It's been refilled and fresh water put in the big dish on the floor. I'm assuming that both Greebo and Ponder are feeding and drinking. I have seen Greebo under the furniture peeking out at me when I went looking for him. I'm leaving him alone while he continues to adjust.

So far the guys h…