Skip to main content

Super Moon 2012

Super Moon 5 May 2012 - OM Lens
Super Moon 5 May 2012 - ZD Lens
Well, I tried my little experiment tonight with the "super moon". The two photos, top to bottom, were taken as follows:
  1. Top photo, OM 4.5/300mm to MF-1 adapter to Olympus EC-14 to MMF-1 adapter to E-P2, ISO 800 at f/8.
  2. Bottom photo, substituting the ZD 50-200mm zoom for the OM 300mm and MF-1 adapter, zoomed to 200mm, ISO 400 at f/8.
The air this evening was pretty humid. The light from the full moon was bright enough to see thin clouds scattered across the sky. The images are not as sharp as I've been able to capture in the past due to the high humidity. Best time for this kind of photography is when the humidity is a lot lower, usually in the winter after a front has come through. My thoughts are still divided about keeping the OM 300mm. There was some purple fringing on the edge of the moon, but very minimal, and only if I pixel peeped. It's a shame I can't afford the Olympus 4/3rds SHG 2.8/300mm, but at US$7,000 it's not on my list of must-have camera gear. I only paid a modest $300 for the used OM 300mm. Sometimes I wish Olympus would have built an HG 4/300mm for 4/3rds. Maybe, just maybe, they'll produce a decent 4/300mm lens for ยต4/3rds.

I have a feeling I'm going to wind up purchasing a wide field telescope before all this is over. One thing I truly enjoy using this setup, and that's the Pen body (E-P2) with the VF-2 swiveled up for the eyepiece. It's like an electronic telescope. I'm wondering what it would be like to put a Pen like mine on the eyepiece of a real telescope. Or maybe the E-M5, with its swivel screen. It's a great way to observe the heavens as well as photograph it.

Update

My beloved wife came by and said "Oh, you can see the bunny rabbit in the moon!" All this from the woman who has a doctorate from FSU. sigh

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

cat-in-a-box channels greta garbo

So I'm sitting at my computer, when I start to notice a racket in back. I ignore it for a while until I hear a load "thump!", as if something had been dropped on the floor, followed by a lot of loud rattling. I turn around and see Lucy in the box just having a grand old time, rolling around and rattling that box a good one. I grab the GX1 and snap a few shots before she notices me and the camera, then leaps out and back into her chair (which used to be my chair before she decided it was her chair).

Just like caring for Katie my black Lab taught me about dogs, caring for Lucy is teaching me about cats. She finds me fascinating, as I do her. And she expresses great affection and love toward me without coaxing. I try to return the affection and love, but she is a cat, and she takes a bat at me on occasion, although I think that's just her being playful. She always has her claws in when she does that.

She sits next to me during the evening in her chair while I sit in mi…

vm networking problem fixed

Over the weekend I upgraded to Windows 8.1, then discovered that networking for the virtual machines wouldn't work. Then I tried something incredibly simple and fixed the problem.

Checking the system I noticed that three VMware Windows services weren't running; VMnetDHCP, VMUSBArbService, and VMwareNatService. VMware Player allows you to install, remove, or fix an existing installation. I chose to try fixing the installation, and that fixed the problem. The services were re-installed/restarted, and the virtual machines had networking again.

Once network connectivity was established there was exactly one updated file for Ubuntu 13.10, a data file. This underscores how solid and finished the release was this time. Every other version of every other Linux installation I've ever dealt with has always been succeeded by boatloads of updates after the initial installation. But not this time.

Everything is working properly on my notebook. All's right with the world.

first night for the gingersnaps

The first night has passed and the two have managed to survive, in spite of what their tiny hearts might have thought when first arriving. Greebo, the larger of the two, has been in hiding the entire time so far. Ponder has spent the time zipping in and out of hiding spots, checking things out, and learning just how comfortable pillows are for resting your head.

During the night I felt the tiny body of Ponder hitting the bed as he leaped up on the side, and then climbed to the top to run around on top of me. At least once he play-attacked my fingers. He might be small but his claws are still quite sharp.

When I got up in the morning the bowl of cat kitten food was fairly well depleted. It's been refilled and fresh water put in the big dish on the floor. I'm assuming that both Greebo and Ponder are feeding and drinking. I have seen Greebo under the furniture peeking out at me when I went looking for him. I'm leaving him alone while he continues to adjust.

So far the guys h…