Skip to main content

The Next Camera, Part 2

The US$2,300 µ4/3rds system
Panasonic announced their latest lens, the H-HS 12035 Lumix G X Vario 12-35mm/F2.8 ASPH zoom lens. Brother, what a mouthful. And right now you can preorder a copy for your very own from Amazon for a mere US$1,300.

Something interesting happens when you add the lens to the Olympus OM-D E-M5; you wind up with a rather pricey US$2,300 camera. That's a good US$1,000 higher than the standard E-M5 kit with the M.Zuiko 12-50mm which also happens to be US$1,300.

I mention this in passing because of all the strident squeals from the forum monsters who proclaim how so much better the Panasonic zoom is over the Olympus kit zoom. Amazon and B&H both have this lens for a far more modest US$500, and bundled with the E-M5 it drops further to $300. Based on all the review images I've seen so far, from photographers who really know how to use the kit, the photographs produced by the combination are outstanding. So I wouldn't classify the Olympus 12-50mm as "junk".

No matter how much it calls to me I still can't afford it. Once again I'm looking at a (for me) large financial outlay, although certainly nothing as strenuous as the latest from Canon, Leica, and Nikon. And there's another way to look at the price of this lens (ignoring everything else about it at the moment): compared to the Olympus regular 4/3rds 14-35mm/F2, it's a cool US$1,100 cheaper, which I couldn't afford either. But half of impossible is still impossible, so I look as longingly at the Panasonic lens as the SHG 14-35mm.

So far the limited preliminary viewings of this lens and the one lone review show the Panasonic lens to be within striking distance, image-quality-wise, of the Olympus. What makes the Panasonic so much more desirable than the Olympus is that this lens is a native µ4/3rds lens that is 1/3 the weight of the Olympus lens as well as a heck of a lot smaller, forming a more balanced system as you can see above with the E-M5.

Panasonic is also working on a second lens in this particular series, a 35-100mm f/2.8 X zoom. This lens will more than likely cost at least as much as the 12-35mm, if not more. According to a tweet from Kirk Tuck, once the 35-100mm is released then "we'll have a full system with one body and two lenses." It remains to be seen which body he'll use, but I have a feeling it'll be a Panasonic, not an Olympus.

This kit is still expensive and still well outside my financial comfort zone. The irony is that when Olympus was producing kit I didn't want I had the financial means to afford it. But now that they've finally got something I really want, I can't.

But not to worry. I have a lot to work with. And I've discovered something: I've grown quite fond of the classic Pen design. I guess I've been a "closet" rangefinder nerd all these years. There's something really sweet about handling the E-P2 and the E-PL1. So much so that they're about all I use these days. Those little bodies with their jewel-like primes are a real joy to work with. That may be why events have turned they way they have. The E-M5 and the Panasonic zooms are going back in the other direction, back towards a complexity I'm not quite so sure I want. I hope that the technology developed for the E-M5 is fed back into the classic Pen series. That would indeed be a Pen to have.

But it may not all fit back, specifically the five-axis IBIS. One key reason for the faux pentaprism housing is to hold the sensors used to help stabilize the sensor. With no housing you have no extra room in the body to hold all the special bits. But that may not be such a bad thing. Take the E-P3 body, upgrade the sensor to the E-M5's sensor, and call it an E-P5. I could certainly see owning something like that, budget permitting.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

cat-in-a-box channels greta garbo

So I'm sitting at my computer, when I start to notice a racket in back. I ignore it for a while until I hear a load "thump!", as if something had been dropped on the floor, followed by a lot of loud rattling. I turn around and see Lucy in the box just having a grand old time, rolling around and rattling that box a good one. I grab the GX1 and snap a few shots before she notices me and the camera, then leaps out and back into her chair (which used to be my chair before she decided it was her chair).

Just like caring for Katie my black Lab taught me about dogs, caring for Lucy is teaching me about cats. She finds me fascinating, as I do her. And she expresses great affection and love toward me without coaxing. I try to return the affection and love, but she is a cat, and she takes a bat at me on occasion, although I think that's just her being playful. She always has her claws in when she does that.

She sits next to me during the evening in her chair while I sit in mi…

first night for the gingersnaps

The first night has passed and the two have managed to survive, in spite of what their tiny hearts might have thought when first arriving. Greebo, the larger of the two, has been in hiding the entire time so far. Ponder has spent the time zipping in and out of hiding spots, checking things out, and learning just how comfortable pillows are for resting your head.

During the night I felt the tiny body of Ponder hitting the bed as he leaped up on the side, and then climbed to the top to run around on top of me. At least once he play-attacked my fingers. He might be small but his claws are still quite sharp.

When I got up in the morning the bowl of cat kitten food was fairly well depleted. It's been refilled and fresh water put in the big dish on the floor. I'm assuming that both Greebo and Ponder are feeding and drinking. I have seen Greebo under the furniture peeking out at me when I went looking for him. I'm leaving him alone while he continues to adjust.

So far the guys h…

vm networking problem fixed

Over the weekend I upgraded to Windows 8.1, then discovered that networking for the virtual machines wouldn't work. Then I tried something incredibly simple and fixed the problem.

Checking the system I noticed that three VMware Windows services weren't running; VMnetDHCP, VMUSBArbService, and VMwareNatService. VMware Player allows you to install, remove, or fix an existing installation. I chose to try fixing the installation, and that fixed the problem. The services were re-installed/restarted, and the virtual machines had networking again.

Once network connectivity was established there was exactly one updated file for Ubuntu 13.10, a data file. This underscores how solid and finished the release was this time. Every other version of every other Linux installation I've ever dealt with has always been succeeded by boatloads of updates after the initial installation. But not this time.

Everything is working properly on my notebook. All's right with the world.