Mellow Memorial

Rainy Mandevillas
Tropical depression Beryl is currently sitting over the north-central section of Florida, right where I-75 crosses into south Georgia. I know this because I can see it on the map as well as all the thunderstorms that are moving over my little section of Orlando, Florida. Because Florida is so flat, tropical depressions have a long reach across this state no matter where they come ashore.

I had wanted to head out and do some photography, but with the rain more or less steady I didn't feel like getting out and getting wet. Call me lazy. Then I came across an article extolling the virtues of the Nikkor 50mm 1:1.2 manual focus lens and the quality out-of-focus effects the lens would produce. Of course it was being used with the God Nikon, the D800/E, which I thought was a bit ridiculous. You spend $3,000 and up on a camera that demands the best in optical sharpness and what do you do, you write an article about using a f/1.2 lens in front of it. Wide open.

Whenever I read an article about a lens, such as a lot of Kirk's or Matthew's posts, I immediately go check the price of said lens on eBay and KEH. After the prices dampen the enthusiasm I go and check what I've got and can I achieve something similar. The same thing happened today with the Nikkor. After reading the article and viewing the photos I checked the price of the Nikkor on Amazon and B&H, then went back and grabbed the black OM Zuiko 50mm 1:1.4, popped it onto a pair of adapters, and put the whole assemblage on the E-PL1. Then, as the latest thunderstorm died down to a drizzle I went out back and shot some very wet mandevillas wide open.
Single Mandevilla
I picked these two shots as my favorites of the small group I captured. I post-processed them in Lightroom 4 to emphasize the lightness and pastel colors even further. Specifically I de-emphasized the blacks (+50) and on the top photo I brightened it by pushing the white slider +50. I kept the E-PL1's color selection on both. And to get that romantic vignetting in the corners I added that in post as well. The OM 50mm, at least in the center third, didn't provide that romantic vignetting.

I've discovered I really enjoy using the E-PL1 with a manual focus lens, even more so than the E-P2. That's because there's a button on the back, right on the top right corner, that puts the camera into a magnification mode while composing photos. I press it once to get the magnification box, move the area around on the screen to where I want to carefully focus, then press it again to magnify and focus. Then I press the shutter release. Handy for when you're doing something weird, like using a fast lens wide open.

I have to admit I like the results. Sometimes even an Eeyore gets tired of dark and sharp. And using an overcast day to achieve something light and ethereal is an interesting challenge.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Decade Long Religious Con Job

Ten Reasons to Ignore Ten Reasons to Dump Windows and Use Linux

Former Eclipse user re-evaluates Eclipse 3.3M5