Jimmy Hula's

EP265242
Where once stood a Back Yard Burgers there now stands a new Jimmy Hula's. I met with three other fellow engineers/managers for a working lunch that lasted about an hour-and-a-half at Jimmy Hula's. Jimmy Hula's is a "taco and burger bar" which specializes in tacos, especially "surf" (fish) tacos.
EP265235
When I got there I ordered three fish tacos; an epic cali, a voodoo, and a baja shrimp, all blackened, plus drink. The damage was around $14. I could probably get by with just two, but I'd missed breakfast and I was pretty hungry.

I did manage to fill up on the three tacos, but I wasn't stuffed. All of them were great. If I go back I might try to see if I can be satisfied with just two. If I can then I'll save about $4. The one thing I don't care for is the high price of a diet soda. While it's a great place to sit and eat, I can save about $3 by getting it to go and eating back at my desk. Or maybe I'll just get water the next time.
EP265231
EP265229
EP265238
The place is like a big open shady spot. Lots of big bay windows, wide doors, allowing in plenty of light and air. The staff were very attentive and friendly, coming by numerous times to get us drink refills and keep the table clean. It looks big enough to hold a fair sized crowd, but small enough for a certain degree of intimacy, unlike the World of Beer across the street and the even bigger Buffalo Wild Wings Grill and Bar just down the street. I wrote earlier before this place opened that they'd have stiff competition with at least five other eateries with built-in bars, and I still feel they will. Based on what I experienced today they might just have a chance to hang in there.

Based on what I saw today they had a constant crowd and pretty good traffic, which would indicate a reasonable turnover. It was unusual for us to spend over an hour in Jimmy's; I would suspect that 30 to 45 minutes tops is the amount of time it would take to place an order, eat it, and then leave.

The one question I have is how five major bars can be open on University Blvd between Rouse and the main entrance to UCF. UCF has somewhere between 50,000 and 60,000 students, between the ages of 18 to 22. The drinking age in Florida is 21. Jimmy's, WoB, and Wild Wings is definitely built to appeal to the college age. So, if the drinking age is 21, who from UCF is at the bar? Seniors and graduate students? Are they carding everyone who walks in? I've never believed in the blue-collar age limit for drinking. I've always believed if you're old enough to vote, drive, and die for your country, you're old enough to drink.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Decade Long Religious Con Job

Ten Reasons to Ignore Ten Reasons to Dump Windows and Use Linux

Former Eclipse user re-evaluates Eclipse 3.3M5