Skip to main content

Infatuation?

Classic LinesThat's the only way to describe it. This is my second M.Zuiko 17mm µ4/3rds pancake lens. The first one, a silver model, was used until the front cosmetic element fell off somewhere in Boston.

Before that time I had a rather extended honeymoon with that lens. But when it lost its front bit I felt somewhat annoyed with it and thus put it in the bag, where it pretty much stayed until I sold it to a friend of mine. Of course he felt he'd gotten the bargain and he's put it to good use himself.

Along the way I picked up three new primes for the E-P2; the M.Zuiko 45mm and the Panasonic 20mm and 14mm. All three of those lenses are stellar performers.

But I felt guilty for having abandoned my first love, the 17mm. It never did anything to me, and quite frankly, it never stopped working as a lens. It was my very silly reaction to the cosmetic blemish that developed on the front edge. So when the price dropped down to a 'mere' $200 for the black version, well, I snapped it up and put it back in my bag along with all my other µ4/3rds lenses.

I pull it out now and use it along with the other lenses. It has a field of view (34mm equivalent) I appreciate and can work with quite well. And I've started using it with a method I'd long forgotten; hyperfocal focusing. I set the lens to manual focus, set the aperture to f/8, and let the camera pick the shutter speed and an ISO value between 200 and 800. Now, when I want to do street photography I focus out about eight feet (estimating, really) and I have a depth of field from about 4 feet out to infinity. Without having to wait for the E-P2 to focus I can get an exposure off as fast as my arthritic shutter finger can react to the 'decisive moment'. To be honest I can do the same thing with the Panasonic 14mm, but for whatever reason that all-black 17mm on that all-black E-P1 with its all-black leather holder is, well, just a sexy little combination in the hand.

Comments

  1. Awww you're cracking me up - this is just too tempting to resist :-) Today I borrowed that sweet 20mm Panny from my wife again to take some indoor photos in the company, but I sooo crave for just that bit more wide angle sometimes. I should just get this second affordable "kit lens" for my E-PL1 and be done with it. Plus maybe an adapter 4/3rds to µ4/3rds, so that I also can use my old and manual OM Zuiko 1:1.8 50mm on the Pen. That would be quite the combination...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I followed in your footsteps yet again, and now I have my own brand-new black E-P2, and matching black 17mm lens to go with it, both from Cameta Camera out of NY.

    I already own the Panny 20mm, so I wasn't expecting much out of the 17mm, but I was very, very pleasantly surprised -- it's just a tiny bit less sharp than the 20mm, not anywhere as bad as the testing sites would leave you to believe.

    I tested the two lenses on my Lumix GH1, which easily out-resolves any other camera I own, and found them to be nearly identical for image quality...I could only tell them apart in A/B comparisons where I could zoom in to the digital file, otherwise, the optical differences are fairly minor.

    But one thing really shocked me: the 17mm performed far quicker and far, far, more accurately than the 20mm on the GH-1! The 20mm is very accurate in regards to focusing--in terms of it choosing what to focus on, not you. But the 17mm almost always nailed the proper subject in the frame to photograph.

    Anyway, I'm having a blast using the E-P2 and 17mm combo. It's a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All comments are checked. Comment SPAM will be blocked and deleted.

Popular posts from this blog

A Decade Long Religious Con Job

I rarely write inflammatory (what some might call trolling) titles to a post, but this building you see before you deserves it. I've been seeing this building next to I-4 just east of Altamonte/436 and Crane's Roost for nearly 12 years, and never knew who owned it. Today on a trip up to Lake Mary with my wife I saw it yet again. That's when I told her I wanted to stop by on the way back and poke around the property, and photograph any parts of it if I could.

What I discovered was this still unfinished eighteen story (I counted) white elephant, overgrown with weeds and yet still under slow-motion construction. It looks impressive with its exterior glass curtain walls, but that impression is quickly lost when you see the unfinished lower stories and look inside to the unfinished interior spaces.

A quick check via Google leads to an article written in 2010 by the Orlando Sentinel about the Majesty Tower. Based on what I read in the article it's owned by SuperChannel 55 WA…

first night for the gingersnaps

The first night has passed and the two have managed to survive, in spite of what their tiny hearts might have thought when first arriving. Greebo, the larger of the two, has been in hiding the entire time so far. Ponder has spent the time zipping in and out of hiding spots, checking things out, and learning just how comfortable pillows are for resting your head.

During the night I felt the tiny body of Ponder hitting the bed as he leaped up on the side, and then climbed to the top to run around on top of me. At least once he play-attacked my fingers. He might be small but his claws are still quite sharp.

When I got up in the morning the bowl of cat kitten food was fairly well depleted. It's been refilled and fresh water put in the big dish on the floor. I'm assuming that both Greebo and Ponder are feeding and drinking. I have seen Greebo under the furniture peeking out at me when I went looking for him. I'm leaving him alone while he continues to adjust.

So far the guys h…

cat-in-a-box channels greta garbo

So I'm sitting at my computer, when I start to notice a racket in back. I ignore it for a while until I hear a load "thump!", as if something had been dropped on the floor, followed by a lot of loud rattling. I turn around and see Lucy in the box just having a grand old time, rolling around and rattling that box a good one. I grab the GX1 and snap a few shots before she notices me and the camera, then leaps out and back into her chair (which used to be my chair before she decided it was her chair).

Just like caring for Katie my black Lab taught me about dogs, caring for Lucy is teaching me about cats. She finds me fascinating, as I do her. And she expresses great affection and love toward me without coaxing. I try to return the affection and love, but she is a cat, and she takes a bat at me on occasion, although I think that's just her being playful. She always has her claws in when she does that.

She sits next to me during the evening in her chair while I sit in mi…