Skip to main content

Captain America

My wife and I watched the latest Marvel movie to hit the multiplexes Sunday, "Captain America: The First Avenger". We were both pleasantly surprised at how enjoyable the movie was.

The 2011 movie is meant to show the origin of Captain America in the lead-up to the major Avengers movie to be released in 2012 (hence "The First Avenger" in its title). Chris Evens ("Scott Pilgrim vs The World"/Lucas Lee, "The Fantastic Four"/Johnny Storm/Human Torch) puts in an excellent performance as Steve Rogers, a.k.a. Captain America.

In his prior movies, especially as the Human Torch, Chris' characters have come across as somewhat brash and arrogant. This time around, as a skinny kid from Brooklyn, Chris' Steve Rogers is far more humble. He has to be; as "Skinny Steve" he's constantly being beat up and picked on by the bullies of the world. Chris surprisingly strikes an excellent balance between honest humility, realizing his physical limitations, with a stubborn determination never to give up. As Skinny Steve he voices that you can't run from the bullies of the world forever; you have to stop and fight. As "Skinny Steve" he's determined to do that, no matter what.

He's given his chance to stand up to the bullies (along with his super powers) by Dr. Abraham Erskine, portrayed excellently by Stanley Tucci ("The Core"/Dr. Conrad Zimsky, "Robots"/Herb Copperbottom, "The Devil Wears Prada"/Niigel, "Julie & Julia"/Paul Child). I've yet to see a role where Stanley Tucci didn't excel. He brings a polished spontaneity to his role as the good doctor, especially in the scene where he tells why he chose Steve Rogers over all the other so-called better candidates. His time on screen was short but memorable, and his final simple message to Steve Rogers is moving.

Finally, there's the major villain of the film, the Red Scull, a.k.a. Johann Schmidt, played with excellent effect by Hugo Weaving. While Hugo has starred in many roles, the one that will always come to mind was as Agent Schmidt Smith in the Matrix trilogy. Although, truth be told, he was equally good in "The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert" as Mitzi. Hugo brings a highly sophisticated villainy to the role, something I haven't seen in a film since Charles Gray played Ernst Stavro Blofeld in "Diamonds Are Forever." Best Red Skull scene in the movie was the personal weapons demonstration he gave to a trio of visiting Nazis.

I was also pleased with how the movie followed a number of original Captain America comic details. For example, the first shield used in the movie is a copy of the original shield from the Captain America issue #1 printed in 1941. I liked the way the costume evolved, from a comics-like ensemble to the more combat-realistic attire used in the latter half of the movie.

The movie also triggered a bit of nostalgia as well. As the fallout from the crazed political brinkmanship surrounding the debt ceiling increase continues to echo around the globe, the movie reminds me of a time in this country when we all pulled together to win the second world war. I wish that sense of sacrifice and cooperation were still as widespread today as it was during that period. It's easy to look back on that period with historically supplied rose colored glasses; we know we won. Back then, we weren't sure we were going to win against the German Reich or the Japanese Imperial Army. Until Pearl Harbor there were many who wanted us to remain isolationist. But once we were committed, we stayed committed and united until victory was achieved on both fronts. How far we've come since then, how spoiled, how lazy.

"Captain America" is a fun movie, both form a contemporary sense, and a nostalgic reminder of what we once were, and could be again if we want.

Comments

  1. "…the movie reminds me of a time in this country when we all pulled together to win the second world war…"

    …which is not accidental, given that Captain America appeared on the scene to fight the Nazis during the later days of America's war in Vietnam.

    I came to the comic late, discovering it in adulthood under Daniel Johnson's guidance, and I find it fascinating. This is definitely a movie that I want to see.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All comments are checked. Comment SPAM will be blocked and deleted.

Popular posts from this blog

A Decade Long Religious Con Job

I rarely write inflammatory (what some might call trolling) titles to a post, but this building you see before you deserves it. I've been seeing this building next to I-4 just east of Altamonte/436 and Crane's Roost for nearly 12 years, and never knew who owned it. Today on a trip up to Lake Mary with my wife I saw it yet again. That's when I told her I wanted to stop by on the way back and poke around the property, and photograph any parts of it if I could.

What I discovered was this still unfinished eighteen story (I counted) white elephant, overgrown with weeds and yet still under slow-motion construction. It looks impressive with its exterior glass curtain walls, but that impression is quickly lost when you see the unfinished lower stories and look inside to the unfinished interior spaces.

A quick check via Google leads to an article written in 2010 by the Orlando Sentinel about the Majesty Tower. Based on what I read in the article it's owned by SuperChannel 55 WA…

first night for the gingersnaps

The first night has passed and the two have managed to survive, in spite of what their tiny hearts might have thought when first arriving. Greebo, the larger of the two, has been in hiding the entire time so far. Ponder has spent the time zipping in and out of hiding spots, checking things out, and learning just how comfortable pillows are for resting your head.

During the night I felt the tiny body of Ponder hitting the bed as he leaped up on the side, and then climbed to the top to run around on top of me. At least once he play-attacked my fingers. He might be small but his claws are still quite sharp.

When I got up in the morning the bowl of cat kitten food was fairly well depleted. It's been refilled and fresh water put in the big dish on the floor. I'm assuming that both Greebo and Ponder are feeding and drinking. I have seen Greebo under the furniture peeking out at me when I went looking for him. I'm leaving him alone while he continues to adjust.

So far the guys h…

cat-in-a-box channels greta garbo

So I'm sitting at my computer, when I start to notice a racket in back. I ignore it for a while until I hear a load "thump!", as if something had been dropped on the floor, followed by a lot of loud rattling. I turn around and see Lucy in the box just having a grand old time, rolling around and rattling that box a good one. I grab the GX1 and snap a few shots before she notices me and the camera, then leaps out and back into her chair (which used to be my chair before she decided it was her chair).

Just like caring for Katie my black Lab taught me about dogs, caring for Lucy is teaching me about cats. She finds me fascinating, as I do her. And she expresses great affection and love toward me without coaxing. I try to return the affection and love, but she is a cat, and she takes a bat at me on occasion, although I think that's just her being playful. She always has her claws in when she does that.

She sits next to me during the evening in her chair while I sit in mi…