Monday, August 08, 2011

At Work with Chrome: Issues with Chrome on Win 2k8 R2 SP1 and Win 7 Force Removal

I have switched three of my six workstations in the lab from RHEL to Windows 2008 R2 SP1. The other three remain as RHEL hosts. The primary reason for switching to Windows was to support Windows virtual machines needing 2D and 3D graphics support. Virtual Box couldn't provide this capability while hosting on RHEL. This need came about from applications that needed Windows support with 2D and 3D graphics acceleration.

During the installation of Windows (both server on as host and Windows 7 virtual machines) I installed Chrome as an alternative to Internet Explorer 8. When first installed Chrome worked as expected, especially automatic updates. This continued until Chrome 12.

When Chrome 12 tried to update to Chrome 13 I started to receive "Update server not available (error: 7)" messages on the combined about/update dialog. Looking around it appeared that the update downloaded but failed to install. Further looking about gave no clear indication of the problem or a single solution. In the end I deleted Chrome 12 and installed Firefox 5 in its place.

Right now all host and virtual instances of Windows are running Internet Explorer 9 and Firefox 5. All instances of Chrome are failing (host server as well as Windows 7 VMs) and have been removed. Chrome still updates on RHEL and all Linux VM instances. But the latest version of Chrome is having issues with the latest patched versions of Windows 2008/7. I am not pleased with this fundamental problem, nor with Google's poor support. I may have to seriously rethink the use of Chrome throughout the lab.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are checked. Comment SPAM will be blocked and deleted.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.