Ubuntu notes

ATI Driver Update

Version 8.3 was released today (March 5th), and I installed it. Nothing special to report. Performance was no different than before, and DRI (AIGLX) support is still broken under Ubuntu 7.10 (Gutsy). The release notes give the official changes, and the Unofficial Wiki has been updated.

Linux Mint 4 KDE

I'd like to note a regression with Linux Mint 4 KDE. I booted the live CD on my Gateway M680 notebook and discovered that both wired and wireless networking would not work. I then booted the same notebook into Windows XP (already installed), openSUSE 10.2 (already installed), and Linux Mint 4 Gnome live CD to check out the networking hardware with those operating systems and found it still worked. I then booted back up into Linux Mint 4 KDE one last time and found networking was still inoperative. Everything else I bothered to test worked just fine. It's a shame, really. I was looking to replace openSUSE 10.2 on that machine with Linux Mint 4 KDE. I'll wait for now, but for what I don't quite know.

Comments

  1. The kernels are identical. Methinks it has something to dow ith the networking framework for Gnome vs KDE and how they call (or fail to call) the kernel module for your wireless chipset. Have you tried to modprobe the proper module?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All comments are checked. Comment SPAM will be blocked and deleted.

Popular posts from this blog

A Decade Long Religious Con Job

Ten Reasons to Ignore Ten Reasons to Dump Windows and Use Linux

Former Eclipse user re-evaluates Eclipse 3.3M5