NetBeans 6 MS 7 Note: Running Ruby and Rails on SLED 10

I installed the Ruby modules from the update center on NB6 MS7 running on SLED 10. I was able to successfully create a complete Rails project. WEBrick started as well. I also checked the 'native' version of Ruby installed on SLED 10, and discovered it's 1.8.4 vs. JRuby's 1.8.5. My recommendation, for what it's worth, would be to stay entirely within the JRuby/NetBeans environment while on SLED 10. I've tried to find a Ruby update repository for Ruby on SLED 10 and x86_64, but I haven't so far. Frankly, for what I do, it's not that critical. SLED is after all a desktop, and my work so far has been tools and utilities.

Comments

  1. Not sure what SLED is Bill. Also I don't suppose you could post something explaining the difference re Netbeans IDE use of JRuby versus Ruby. Is this an issue? Should we configure Netbeans to use a Ruby (not JRuby) installation?

    Cheers
    Greg

    ReplyDelete
  2. SLED is Suse Linux Enterprise Desktop version 10. It's based on Open Suse 10.1 with additional enterprise features not found on Open Suse.

    The Ruby support modules, when installed, also install a copy of JRuby. The IDE framework defaults to using this internal copy of JRuby. All I'm saying is that you should stick to the NetBean's defaults when running on SLED because SLED uses an older version (implementation) of Ruby. If you install the Ruby support modules in NetBeans 6, and just accept the default configuration, then you'll be fine.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All comments are checked. Comment SPAM will be blocked and deleted.

Popular posts from this blog

A Decade Long Religious Con Job

Ten Reasons to Ignore Ten Reasons to Dump Windows and Use Linux

Former Eclipse user re-evaluates Eclipse 3.3M5