I took a few moments to move the qconf sources I'd modified over the weekend onto my SLED 10 system. I them ran 'make xconfig' and it came right up.
It's running on the KDE desktop. This represents the second distribution I've successfully run my modified code on. More significantly it establishes that the version of Qt I built myself, 4.2.3, can support this tool. I had actually started the migration of qconf on this machine, but stopped because of the nagging core dumps I was getting at the time. I then moved to the Ubuntu system because it had Qt 4 deb files I could install and work with. And, of course, I was successful in finding the bugs and finishing the migration. I was concerned that somehow I had screwed up the build of Qt or had not adequately installed it on SLED (in this case I have Qt 4.2.3 installed under /opt/QT).
So now comes the next test; building another kernel on this box and seeing what happens. My final test will be to do this on my other Suse system running Open Suse 10.2. Then I'll submit my patches and see what happens next.