At Work with Linux: A Little Cinnamon Spices Up Fedora 17

Earlier today I discovered Cinnamon, an alternative desktop environment for those who are not quite happy with Gnome 3. The site contains instructions for installing the two packages necessary for Fedora 16 and Fedora 17. Once installed I found the desktop much more to my liking. In particular it was nice to have something as simple as the off switch on the main menu panel. I was able to find the icon for Chrome and simply drag it to the left panel side. I was also able to add a desktop switcher.
Cinnamon is configurable and allows for both a lower and upper panel. I tried this classic layout but discovered that the lower panel was inoperative. I switched it back to the simpler single lower panel.

Comments

  1. Looks nice. I'm still trying to figure out what I'll do when the next Debian stable is out, also with Gnome3. Linus Torvalds still calls it an 'unholy mess' for a reason. It may be beautiful from a developer's point of view, but this is just unusable, except maybe for phones and other touchscreen devices.

    And for me, KDE is no real alternative, so maybe I'll just jump to something skinnier like XFCE or the like...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All comments are checked. Comment SPAM will be blocked and deleted.

Popular posts from this blog

A Decade Long Religious Con Job

Ten Reasons to Ignore Ten Reasons to Dump Windows and Use Linux

Former Eclipse user re-evaluates Eclipse 3.3M5