Skip to main content

New Glass, New Month

In The GardenI've been in something of a funk lately, trying to figure out what I really want to do when I grow up. Which is quite shocking when you consider I'll turn 58 in less than four months.

And so my personal hobbyist photography has dropped considerably, as has my posting on the blog. I had made a promise that I would take and post at least one photo a day, and write at least one post a day. That photography promise started to straggle around late June-early July, while this August I really dropped the ball with regards to posting blog entries.

I guess I needed the break. That and the fact I've been pretty busy with two major projects. And then there's been family issues as well. Something had to give, and it was attention to Flickr and Blogspot.

Earlier this week I ordered a Zuiko Digital 14-54mm Mk I lens from Wolf Camera Clearance via eBay. They had three for sale at $289/lens. The lenses were "display" lenses, meaning they'd sat in a case in some store as part of a larger display of camera gear.

Buying marked-down display gear is something of a crap shoot. Display gear can sit for years and not get touched, or it can be used constantly as a demo lens on a body when a customer asks to see a given camera, picking up dirt and fingerprints through usage and being knocked about. I got lucky. The copy I received was in immaculate condition. It was priced low enough that I paid for next day delivery.

I've purchased this 14-54mm for my youngest daughter to give her a decent lens to go on her E-1 and E-300. I've given her nothing but hand-me-down kit lenses, so this 14-54mm was an attempt to give her a complete high-end kit mated with the E-1, with the added benefit of being environmentally sealed.

When the lens arrived I took it out and gave it a spin on my E-1. I was pleased with the results. The lens worked as expected, and focusing was pretty decent, even in low light. There is a notable difference in focus speed between this lens, a High Grade Zuiko, and the Standard kit lenses she's been using; the 14-45mm and 40-150mm original kit lenses that came with the E-300. The 14-54mm is fast and sure, much faster than those two kit lenses.

I continue to cling to my Olympus gear and to pick up the very occasional bargain. I've reached an impasse with regards to spending a lot of money on new gear of any stripe and manufacturer, unless it's dirt cheap and can work with what I already have. I'm tired of being the hamster on the wheel.

Technical

Taken with the E-1 and ZD 14-54mm Mk I. Post processing done primarily in Silver Efex Pro 2 via Lightroom 3. In Silver Efex I used Film Noir 1, Kodak TriX 400 TX effect, and Copper Toner 18.

Comments

  1. I'm in a funk as well. What to do next? Once you've been on the wheel for a good 25 years you really do start trying to imagine what a different life might look like. 56 coming up next month and I'm no closer to really knowing what I want to do when I grow up.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All comments are checked. Comment SPAM will be blocked and deleted.

Popular posts from this blog

A Decade Long Religious Con Job

I rarely write inflammatory (what some might call trolling) titles to a post, but this building you see before you deserves it. I've been seeing this building next to I-4 just east of Altamonte/436 and Crane's Roost for nearly 12 years, and never knew who owned it. Today on a trip up to Lake Mary with my wife I saw it yet again. That's when I told her I wanted to stop by on the way back and poke around the property, and photograph any parts of it if I could.

What I discovered was this still unfinished eighteen story (I counted) white elephant, overgrown with weeds and yet still under slow-motion construction. It looks impressive with its exterior glass curtain walls, but that impression is quickly lost when you see the unfinished lower stories and look inside to the unfinished interior spaces.

A quick check via Google leads to an article written in 2010 by the Orlando Sentinel about the Majesty Tower. Based on what I read in the article it's owned by SuperChannel 55 WA…

first night for the gingersnaps

The first night has passed and the two have managed to survive, in spite of what their tiny hearts might have thought when first arriving. Greebo, the larger of the two, has been in hiding the entire time so far. Ponder has spent the time zipping in and out of hiding spots, checking things out, and learning just how comfortable pillows are for resting your head.

During the night I felt the tiny body of Ponder hitting the bed as he leaped up on the side, and then climbed to the top to run around on top of me. At least once he play-attacked my fingers. He might be small but his claws are still quite sharp.

When I got up in the morning the bowl of cat kitten food was fairly well depleted. It's been refilled and fresh water put in the big dish on the floor. I'm assuming that both Greebo and Ponder are feeding and drinking. I have seen Greebo under the furniture peeking out at me when I went looking for him. I'm leaving him alone while he continues to adjust.

So far the guys h…

cat-in-a-box channels greta garbo

So I'm sitting at my computer, when I start to notice a racket in back. I ignore it for a while until I hear a load "thump!", as if something had been dropped on the floor, followed by a lot of loud rattling. I turn around and see Lucy in the box just having a grand old time, rolling around and rattling that box a good one. I grab the GX1 and snap a few shots before she notices me and the camera, then leaps out and back into her chair (which used to be my chair before she decided it was her chair).

Just like caring for Katie my black Lab taught me about dogs, caring for Lucy is teaching me about cats. She finds me fascinating, as I do her. And she expresses great affection and love toward me without coaxing. I try to return the affection and love, but she is a cat, and she takes a bat at me on occasion, although I think that's just her being playful. She always has her claws in when she does that.

She sits next to me during the evening in her chair while I sit in mi…