E-1 Experiment #2

Squared OrchidsContinuing with my E-1 experiments. In this experiment I deliberately cropped a 5PM image into a square format to better draw attention to the orchid blossoms. This photo was taken with Kirk Tuck's donated E-1 at the same time as I photographed the other orchids. This is a different part of the bloom spray.

The photo was originally taken in landscape mode. The 1:1 crop retains the original vertical pixel count. Only the right end of the original photo was cropped (well, a bit on the left, but mostly on the right).

The same type of treatment was used for this image as the other in the prior post; blacks increased to cover the detail in the background, and a little post processing magic to increase the color saturation a bit to my tastes, as well as enhance the grain and the detail of the blossoms.

I also did something I seldom do in post processing. I used the adjustment brush, set to black, to a part of a petal in the very upper right corner. It made no sense to leave it there after the 1:1 crop, and it detracted from the overall balance of the photo.

What this shows is that you can crop a photo as "limited" as the "mere" 5PM the Olympus E-1 produces. I like 1:1 format, having acquired a taste for it when I used a Mamiya C300 Pro f "back in the day".

Comments

  1. I NEVER tire of that sensor. Stunning beauty in this shot and I am a big fan of 1x1 formatting.

    Oh..And how could I not congratulate you on acquiring such an awesome camera from the likes of none other than Kirk! WOW!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All comments are checked. Comment SPAM will be blocked and deleted.

Popular posts from this blog

A Decade Long Religious Con Job

Ten Reasons to Ignore Ten Reasons to Dump Windows and Use Linux

Former Eclipse user re-evaluates Eclipse 3.3M5