Wednesday, September 14, 2011

E-1 Experiment #2

Squared OrchidsContinuing with my E-1 experiments. In this experiment I deliberately cropped a 5PM image into a square format to better draw attention to the orchid blossoms. This photo was taken with Kirk Tuck's donated E-1 at the same time as I photographed the other orchids. This is a different part of the bloom spray.

The photo was originally taken in landscape mode. The 1:1 crop retains the original vertical pixel count. Only the right end of the original photo was cropped (well, a bit on the left, but mostly on the right).

The same type of treatment was used for this image as the other in the prior post; blacks increased to cover the detail in the background, and a little post processing magic to increase the color saturation a bit to my tastes, as well as enhance the grain and the detail of the blossoms.

I also did something I seldom do in post processing. I used the adjustment brush, set to black, to a part of a petal in the very upper right corner. It made no sense to leave it there after the 1:1 crop, and it detracted from the overall balance of the photo.

What this shows is that you can crop a photo as "limited" as the "mere" 5PM the Olympus E-1 produces. I like 1:1 format, having acquired a taste for it when I used a Mamiya C300 Pro f "back in the day".

1 comment:

  1. I NEVER tire of that sensor. Stunning beauty in this shot and I am a big fan of 1x1 formatting.

    Oh..And how could I not congratulate you on acquiring such an awesome camera from the likes of none other than Kirk! WOW!

    ReplyDelete

All comments are checked. Comment SPAM will be blocked and deleted.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.