Skip to main content

Road Trip, Day 7

We went back this morning to the Corning Museum of Glass. While there we watched two more shows, one of them this flame demonstration. This is the kind of glass artistry you used to see at many malls, responsible for all the little glass sculptures, the real-life glass menageries. What I most liked about this demonstration was the running commentary the glass artist gave, explaining what each step was for and why the step was needed. She created a little penguin figurine. The other demonstration she gave was how glass broke and why. While interesting, breaking glass is something that even I can do (although more by accident than anything else).

We also spent time walking through the museum and the shop. I enjoyed looking at some of the contemporary pieces. If I'd had the whole day I would have spent it there.
Evening Dress with Shawl, Karen LaMonte, Corning Museum of Glass
Vase with Vegetal Forms, Federal Republic of Germany, Frauenau, Corning Museum of Glass
Circular Object One, Daniel Clayman, Corning Museum of Glass
We left Corning NY right before noon, and spent the next six hours driving through New Your, through Buffalo, across the Peace Bridge into Canada, and around the western end of Lake Ontario to Toronto. What struck us as odd (out of many odd things driving through New York state) was the sign at the edge of Buffalo proclaiming Buffalo "A Real American City." I guess that's to keep folks from mistakenly thinking that Buffalo is part of Canada. I hate to break it to Buffalo, but I don't think Canadians want Buffalo as a part of Canada. Not when they have a city like Toronto. More about that tomorrow.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

cat-in-a-box channels greta garbo

So I'm sitting at my computer, when I start to notice a racket in back. I ignore it for a while until I hear a load "thump!", as if something had been dropped on the floor, followed by a lot of loud rattling. I turn around and see Lucy in the box just having a grand old time, rolling around and rattling that box a good one. I grab the GX1 and snap a few shots before she notices me and the camera, then leaps out and back into her chair (which used to be my chair before she decided it was her chair).

Just like caring for Katie my black Lab taught me about dogs, caring for Lucy is teaching me about cats. She finds me fascinating, as I do her. And she expresses great affection and love toward me without coaxing. I try to return the affection and love, but she is a cat, and she takes a bat at me on occasion, although I think that's just her being playful. She always has her claws in when she does that.

She sits next to me during the evening in her chair while I sit in mi…

first night for the gingersnaps

The first night has passed and the two have managed to survive, in spite of what their tiny hearts might have thought when first arriving. Greebo, the larger of the two, has been in hiding the entire time so far. Ponder has spent the time zipping in and out of hiding spots, checking things out, and learning just how comfortable pillows are for resting your head.

During the night I felt the tiny body of Ponder hitting the bed as he leaped up on the side, and then climbed to the top to run around on top of me. At least once he play-attacked my fingers. He might be small but his claws are still quite sharp.

When I got up in the morning the bowl of cat kitten food was fairly well depleted. It's been refilled and fresh water put in the big dish on the floor. I'm assuming that both Greebo and Ponder are feeding and drinking. I have seen Greebo under the furniture peeking out at me when I went looking for him. I'm leaving him alone while he continues to adjust.

So far the guys h…

vm networking problem fixed

Over the weekend I upgraded to Windows 8.1, then discovered that networking for the virtual machines wouldn't work. Then I tried something incredibly simple and fixed the problem.

Checking the system I noticed that three VMware Windows services weren't running; VMnetDHCP, VMUSBArbService, and VMwareNatService. VMware Player allows you to install, remove, or fix an existing installation. I chose to try fixing the installation, and that fixed the problem. The services were re-installed/restarted, and the virtual machines had networking again.

Once network connectivity was established there was exactly one updated file for Ubuntu 13.10, a data file. This underscores how solid and finished the release was this time. Every other version of every other Linux installation I've ever dealt with has always been succeeded by boatloads of updates after the initial installation. But not this time.

Everything is working properly on my notebook. All's right with the world.