A Little Less Green Space

Downtown Construction near Courthouse
I saw this coming. Back in April of last year I came across a bit of greenspace next to the courthouse, bounded on three sides by North Magnolia, East Livingston and North Rosalind Avenue. It was a small one acre park. It was notable for all of the big old oaks that gave it a lot of cool shade. Unfortunately, it had started to go to seed a bit, and there was a for-sale sign on the Rosalind Avenue side. It didn't look good.

I photographed it, filed it away for later, and continued on with life. Then, sometime around December, when I started to go to RDV for physical training, I happened to spot a crane over the general vicinity. When I got there today I found the beginning of a $63 million 23 story luxury apartment complex. Gone were all the old oaks, all the cool shade.
Former Green Space
The park from April 2012
Downtown Construction near Courthouse
Downtown Greenspace for Sale
There's not much more that I can say that the photos can't convey better than I can write. There is, however, one more important fact to this story. Out of the acre of land on which this apartment is being shoe-horned, the developers are generously donating 0.12 acres (yes, 0.12 acres) back for a "pocket park." Green-washing at its finest.

Technical

I used the E-M5 with the Panasonic 14mm, the E-PL2 with the Leica 25mm for today's photos. For the older photos I used the venerable E-P2 with the M.Zuiko 17mm.

Comments

  1. Who is selling a park without anyone stepping in?
    Here, there are riots over felled trees to build a railway station and in general, germans are considered very law-abiding. They will loose anyway, but thats not the point.
    (Do a google by picture with "Stuttgart 21" and you will see)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found this: Stuttgart - a city in conflict. We have nothing like that here in Orlando. Instead we have lethargy, and a lot of money changing hands.

      Delete

Post a Comment

All comments are checked. Comment SPAM will be blocked and deleted.

Popular posts from this blog

A Decade Long Religious Con Job

Ten Reasons to Ignore Ten Reasons to Dump Windows and Use Linux

Former Eclipse user re-evaluates Eclipse 3.3M5