Skip to main content

Curiosity About Mars

This is an entry about the Mars Science Laboratory, or MSL, a.k.a. Curiosity. I have absolutely nothing to add to what's already been written. This is instead my little electronic scrapbook section for one of the most exciting space missions since Apollo 11.

Since I live on the east cost in Orlando, I stayed up past my bedtime to watch the video streams from the Jet Propulsion Laboratory located at the California Institute of Technology. Because of the three hour time difference between the two coasts it was 1:31am local Orlando time when Curiosity successfully landed on Mars.
I was so happy for the mission command crew when the final successful indicators came down from Mars that Curiosity had safely landed, but nowhere near as elated as they obviously where. I wish I could have been there at least as a witness, a bystander to all the joy and relief they felt that this part of the mission to Mars was successfully concluded. And I was so happy to see indicators from the orbiting Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter (MRO) and this incredible shot of Curiosity with its large supersonic parachute deployed. This shows how far we've come in planetary exploration when we have a constellation of satellites around Mars to help with the MSL, even capturing its entry over the surface of Mars.
I'm waiting along with everyone else for Curiosity to start its science mission. Everything so far seems to be in perfect working order, at least the plethora of cameras. That's one of the multitude of reasons I'm so keyed up about the MSL. In addition to the fact that it's a one ton plutonium powered six-wheel drive vehicle about the size of a Mini Cooper, it bristles with experiments and seventeen cameras attached all over the vehicle. It's supposed to last for years on end, and unlike Spirit and Opportunity, not be effected by the seasons with dust collecting on solar panels. Curiosity was designed from the get-go to last a good long time, measured in years. Perhaps it will last longer than Opportunity, which is now in its eighth functional year on Mars.
it's going to be an exciting time in planetary and Mars science. I sincerely hope that kids all over the U.S. and the world are excited and motivated by Curiosity to seek a career in science and engineering, or if not that, then to develop a lifetime sense of wonder and yes, curiosity, about the universe above their heads.

Comments

  1. I couldn't have said it better. I was up at 1:30 last night like an expectant father and was absolutely thrilled when the confirmation came through that Curiosity was safely on the ground. I felt like I did when I was a kid watching the Apollo missions and dreaming of the day men would go to Mars.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For me the most thrilling shot by far was above shot from the Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter. A man made eye witnessing a man made object descending onto the surface of an alien world. It really brought home the magnitude of our accomplishments in the realm of space exploration.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All comments are checked. Comment SPAM will be blocked and deleted.

Popular posts from this blog

A Decade Long Religious Con Job

I rarely write inflammatory (what some might call trolling) titles to a post, but this building you see before you deserves it. I've been seeing this building next to I-4 just east of Altamonte/436 and Crane's Roost for nearly 12 years, and never knew who owned it. Today on a trip up to Lake Mary with my wife I saw it yet again. That's when I told her I wanted to stop by on the way back and poke around the property, and photograph any parts of it if I could.

What I discovered was this still unfinished eighteen story (I counted) white elephant, overgrown with weeds and yet still under slow-motion construction. It looks impressive with its exterior glass curtain walls, but that impression is quickly lost when you see the unfinished lower stories and look inside to the unfinished interior spaces.

A quick check via Google leads to an article written in 2010 by the Orlando Sentinel about the Majesty Tower. Based on what I read in the article it's owned by SuperChannel 55 WA…

first night for the gingersnaps

The first night has passed and the two have managed to survive, in spite of what their tiny hearts might have thought when first arriving. Greebo, the larger of the two, has been in hiding the entire time so far. Ponder has spent the time zipping in and out of hiding spots, checking things out, and learning just how comfortable pillows are for resting your head.

During the night I felt the tiny body of Ponder hitting the bed as he leaped up on the side, and then climbed to the top to run around on top of me. At least once he play-attacked my fingers. He might be small but his claws are still quite sharp.

When I got up in the morning the bowl of cat kitten food was fairly well depleted. It's been refilled and fresh water put in the big dish on the floor. I'm assuming that both Greebo and Ponder are feeding and drinking. I have seen Greebo under the furniture peeking out at me when I went looking for him. I'm leaving him alone while he continues to adjust.

So far the guys h…

cat-in-a-box channels greta garbo

So I'm sitting at my computer, when I start to notice a racket in back. I ignore it for a while until I hear a load "thump!", as if something had been dropped on the floor, followed by a lot of loud rattling. I turn around and see Lucy in the box just having a grand old time, rolling around and rattling that box a good one. I grab the GX1 and snap a few shots before she notices me and the camera, then leaps out and back into her chair (which used to be my chair before she decided it was her chair).

Just like caring for Katie my black Lab taught me about dogs, caring for Lucy is teaching me about cats. She finds me fascinating, as I do her. And she expresses great affection and love toward me without coaxing. I try to return the affection and love, but she is a cat, and she takes a bat at me on occasion, although I think that's just her being playful. She always has her claws in when she does that.

She sits next to me during the evening in her chair while I sit in mi…