Skip to main content

More Observations

More Development

The Rich Earth

Another day and more construction done. This is the larger plot of land being worked across the street from the smaller I photographed yesterday. Notice all that rich dark soil? That soil is dark and rich because that land was wetlands before they tore down all the small cypress and willow trees that grew there and dug it all up. All that lighter soil was hauled in to be spread over the darker. By the time it's all done there'll be more buildings and parking lots over another piece of Florida paradise.

Cemetery of Innocence

Once again the First Baptist Church of Orlando has put up their "Cemetery of Innocence" in the big field that sits between the church and L.B. McLeod. They've put this up in time for yet another pre-Easter first amendment expression of their disapproval of abortion. According to the sign out in front this year, 4,000 babies are being aborted "daily."

Since I'm a raging liberal, I immediately felt the number was suspect. So I went out and used the evil Google to look for statistics I felt were more believable, and found the CDC's "Abortion Surveillance --- United States, 2008" report. According to the CDC's report the total number of U.S. abortions reported in 2008 were 825,564, or 2,262 abortions/day, a little more than half the 4,000 painted on the sign. I doubt that that abortion rate has doubled over the last four years.

But let's not quibble over the numbers. The fact that there are this many abortions points to a lack of accessible birth control, especially for young teenage women. If you read the report you'll find that the greatest majority of abortions occurred with women 19 years or younger. Young women who's lives and the lives of any children they would carry to term would be ruined because they've got no good financial backing for either themselves or their unborn children. You can't abort them, but once they're all here, well, that's not the right's concern any more. After all, if they grow up and become a problem, well, that's what prisons are for, isn't it?

When I see crosses like that, especially on a day like today, I think instead of all the Syrians that have died at the hand of Bashar al-Assad, who has been widening and intensifying his deadly assault on Syrian citizens who are against his rule, especially in Homs. I've been listening and reading about the death of journalist Marie Colvin, who died exposing the horrors of that particular war. She was reporting on the death of one child (of many) when she died during a shell attack on Homs by Syrian government forces. These are the innocents who have also died, young men with their hands tied and bullet wounds to their heads and chests, lying in the streets, women, and children as well. Where are the local signs expressing outrage and grief over their deaths?

Comments

  1. "Where are the local signs expressing outrage and grief over their deaths?"

    So true. It's estimated that less than each second, a kid dies of hunger. Do we really want to live like that, accepting that?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All comments are checked. Comment SPAM will be blocked and deleted.

Popular posts from this blog

A Decade Long Religious Con Job

I rarely write inflammatory (what some might call trolling) titles to a post, but this building you see before you deserves it. I've been seeing this building next to I-4 just east of Altamonte/436 and Crane's Roost for nearly 12 years, and never knew who owned it. Today on a trip up to Lake Mary with my wife I saw it yet again. That's when I told her I wanted to stop by on the way back and poke around the property, and photograph any parts of it if I could.

What I discovered was this still unfinished eighteen story (I counted) white elephant, overgrown with weeds and yet still under slow-motion construction. It looks impressive with its exterior glass curtain walls, but that impression is quickly lost when you see the unfinished lower stories and look inside to the unfinished interior spaces.

A quick check via Google leads to an article written in 2010 by the Orlando Sentinel about the Majesty Tower. Based on what I read in the article it's owned by SuperChannel 55 WA…

first night for the gingersnaps

The first night has passed and the two have managed to survive, in spite of what their tiny hearts might have thought when first arriving. Greebo, the larger of the two, has been in hiding the entire time so far. Ponder has spent the time zipping in and out of hiding spots, checking things out, and learning just how comfortable pillows are for resting your head.

During the night I felt the tiny body of Ponder hitting the bed as he leaped up on the side, and then climbed to the top to run around on top of me. At least once he play-attacked my fingers. He might be small but his claws are still quite sharp.

When I got up in the morning the bowl of cat kitten food was fairly well depleted. It's been refilled and fresh water put in the big dish on the floor. I'm assuming that both Greebo and Ponder are feeding and drinking. I have seen Greebo under the furniture peeking out at me when I went looking for him. I'm leaving him alone while he continues to adjust.

So far the guys h…

cat-in-a-box channels greta garbo

So I'm sitting at my computer, when I start to notice a racket in back. I ignore it for a while until I hear a load "thump!", as if something had been dropped on the floor, followed by a lot of loud rattling. I turn around and see Lucy in the box just having a grand old time, rolling around and rattling that box a good one. I grab the GX1 and snap a few shots before she notices me and the camera, then leaps out and back into her chair (which used to be my chair before she decided it was her chair).

Just like caring for Katie my black Lab taught me about dogs, caring for Lucy is teaching me about cats. She finds me fascinating, as I do her. And she expresses great affection and love toward me without coaxing. I try to return the affection and love, but she is a cat, and she takes a bat at me on occasion, although I think that's just her being playful. She always has her claws in when she does that.

She sits next to me during the evening in her chair while I sit in mi…