Fedora 7 runs just fine on aging europa

After using one of the Qt 4.3.0 demo applications to download Fedora 7 via Bit Torrent, I burned the ISO to CD and rebooted europa into Fedora 7 Live CD. And I was very quickly and quite pleasantly surprised by one of its key features. I enabled desktop effects (System | Preferences | Look and Feel | Desktop Effects) and it worked. Nearly flawlessly. Compiz finally worked like a charm on this aging platform with the ATI 9700 Pro. Here's a few screen captures. I have never personally had Compiz perform as well as it did here on a live CD before Fedora 7. My hat's off to the Fedora developers. You guys done good.

Here I've grabbed the the corner with the mouse and the [Ctrl][Alt] keys and pulled it down to illustrate the cube.

Here I'm looking at my thumb drive (where I'm stashing screen shots) and three screens. Key sequence [Ctrl][Alt][Down Arrow].

And here I've opened up Firefox 2.0.0.3 and have it sitting astride two windows. And yes, you can drag the window completely across an edge of a desktop and have the cube face flip to where you've dragged it.

I've only noticed one little nit so far. The Compiz cube faces don't sync with the Workspace Switcher in the lower right corner. I can switch with the arrow keys around the cube, but when I try to select a desktop that matches a cube face it doesn't work. It's like the entire cube is associated with screen 1 of the workspace switcher.

Now I'm wondering if I should install this thing, and where...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Decade Long Religious Con Job

Ten Reasons to Ignore Ten Reasons to Dump Windows and Use Linux

Former Eclipse user re-evaluates Eclipse 3.3M5