Suse 10.2, part 12: Getting WMV video to work in Firefox, adding VLC

After getting Windows Media Video (WMV) to successfully play within Firefox on Ubuntu 7.04, I attempted to achieve the same functionality within Suse 10.2. I pretty much succeeded.

Installing WMV Playback

When you install Suse and attempt to play WMV from CNN's web site, you get the following dialog.

In order to successfully play back WMV, I installed xine-extra (optional Xine plugins). Everything else had already been installed according to Yast2. What follows is a screen shot of the plugin working.

Faith the two-legged dog.

What's interesting is that there are no controls on the plugin like there are under Ubuntu or Windows. I have no idea why.

Installing VLC

While I was trying to find the right combination of packages that would enable playback, I installed VideoLAN's VLC media player. You can find directions to do this at the VideoLAN site. There is, however, one additional step you need to take for Suse 10.2. You need to add the following repository to your Yast Installation Source:

http://ftp4.gwdg.de/pub/opensuse/distribution/10.2/repo/oss/suse

That will allow VLC dependencies to be properly fulfilled.

Once VLC was installed I plopped my Serenity DVD in and checked out VLC's playback capabilities. What follows are some screen shots. Nothing spectacular. I just put them in there because I liked Firefly and Serenity.

Fruitee-Oatee-Bars make you bust out of your blouse...

Dramatic decision to head to Miranda through Reaver space...

Miranda touchdown...

Final Thoughts

Looks like I might just keep Suse around a little longer. I've still got lots to learn.

Comments

  1. dude would you mind telling me how to add repository in suse 10.2

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All comments are checked. Comment SPAM will be blocked and deleted.

Popular posts from this blog

A Decade Long Religious Con Job

Ten Reasons to Ignore Ten Reasons to Dump Windows and Use Linux

Former Eclipse user re-evaluates Eclipse 3.3M5