Skip to main content

Is it time for me to replace Suse with Ubuntu?

I'm thinking really hard about replacing europa's Suse 10.2 installation with Ubuntu, or possibly Kubuntu. I'm not too crazy about Kubuntu because of its insisting that Konq be the default web browser, not Firefox. Trust me, I like Konq for its file browsing, even more so than Nautilus, but Kubuntu's "pure KDE" philosophy bugs me a bit. That's why I've liked Suse to date; it strikes a good balance between KDE and other applications on the desktop.

Once again, though, while making some minor customizations I was reminded why Ubuntu 7.04 is so "likable". I went hunting for applets to add to the upper panel, and discovered that the "Add to Panel" applet has been cleaned up so that finding anything to add to the panel is a whole lot easier than it used to be.

Above is the initial view. Note that custom applications have been moved out of the main window and above it as a pair buttons. The long strip view of older "Add to Panel" implementations is gone. It's organized so much better.

Adding a custom application (in this case, Wireshark), is easy to find and quick to select.

Are You Sure About This?

I've invested too much time, effort, and money over the years with Suse to just casually toss it away. And Suse has been an excellent work platform. Most importantly it has been the best distribution to run on my Gateway notebooks over the past two years. It's not a decision to be made lightly. But I can't help but note how everything seems to work that much better on Ubuntu. And it's just an alpha. It's only two more months until April. I think I can wait until then.

Comments

  1. I have tried many linux flavors going back to Redhat 5.1. I have used Redhat, Mandrake (now Mandriva), Debian, Suse, and most recently Ubuntu and Kubuntu. I have probably missed a few disros in there as I have played with many,

    Along the way I always found that something was seriously missing and found that I was still spending much of my time in windows. However, with Kubuntu I finally have a linux only computer and find that everything works as it should.

    My point is that linux, with Ubuntu/Kubuntu, is finally ready to be used on a desktop system as the only OS. This is wonderful and is something I did not find with Suse, or any of the others I tried. Go ahead, take the leap to Ubuntu, or one of its derivatives, you likely won't regret it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When my old hard drive self destructed 18 months ago, I took a deep breath and just used Kubuntu. Steep learning curve for an old (and I mean old) Windows user, but I have never looked back. Upgrade every 6 months ( earlier, a couple of times but I won't do that anymore) and it just gets better and better. If you are thinking about giving K/U/X/ubuntu a try, just do it. You will not be disappointed.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All comments are checked. Comment SPAM will be blocked and deleted.

Popular posts from this blog

A Decade Long Religious Con Job

I rarely write inflammatory (what some might call trolling) titles to a post, but this building you see before you deserves it. I've been seeing this building next to I-4 just east of Altamonte/436 and Crane's Roost for nearly 12 years, and never knew who owned it. Today on a trip up to Lake Mary with my wife I saw it yet again. That's when I told her I wanted to stop by on the way back and poke around the property, and photograph any parts of it if I could.

What I discovered was this still unfinished eighteen story (I counted) white elephant, overgrown with weeds and yet still under slow-motion construction. It looks impressive with its exterior glass curtain walls, but that impression is quickly lost when you see the unfinished lower stories and look inside to the unfinished interior spaces.

A quick check via Google leads to an article written in 2010 by the Orlando Sentinel about the Majesty Tower. Based on what I read in the article it's owned by SuperChannel 55 WA…

first night for the gingersnaps

The first night has passed and the two have managed to survive, in spite of what their tiny hearts might have thought when first arriving. Greebo, the larger of the two, has been in hiding the entire time so far. Ponder has spent the time zipping in and out of hiding spots, checking things out, and learning just how comfortable pillows are for resting your head.

During the night I felt the tiny body of Ponder hitting the bed as he leaped up on the side, and then climbed to the top to run around on top of me. At least once he play-attacked my fingers. He might be small but his claws are still quite sharp.

When I got up in the morning the bowl of cat kitten food was fairly well depleted. It's been refilled and fresh water put in the big dish on the floor. I'm assuming that both Greebo and Ponder are feeding and drinking. I have seen Greebo under the furniture peeking out at me when I went looking for him. I'm leaving him alone while he continues to adjust.

So far the guys h…

cat-in-a-box channels greta garbo

So I'm sitting at my computer, when I start to notice a racket in back. I ignore it for a while until I hear a load "thump!", as if something had been dropped on the floor, followed by a lot of loud rattling. I turn around and see Lucy in the box just having a grand old time, rolling around and rattling that box a good one. I grab the GX1 and snap a few shots before she notices me and the camera, then leaps out and back into her chair (which used to be my chair before she decided it was her chair).

Just like caring for Katie my black Lab taught me about dogs, caring for Lucy is teaching me about cats. She finds me fascinating, as I do her. And she expresses great affection and love toward me without coaxing. I try to return the affection and love, but she is a cat, and she takes a bat at me on occasion, although I think that's just her being playful. She always has her claws in when she does that.

She sits next to me during the evening in her chair while I sit in mi…