Skip to main content

Suse 10.2, part 6: What is going on with beagled-helper?

Beagle is Gnome's answer to built-in desktop indexing and search. The heart of Beagle appears to be beagled, the Beagle daemon. I went out earlier today to run a number of errands leaving europa on and running with openSuse. When I returned home several hours later, I came back to an unresponsive machine. The display was corrupt, with random pixels all over the screen. No jiggling of the shift keys on the keyboard or the mouse would bring up the desktop.

I quickly noticed that the hard drive activity light was on constantly. I switched from hitting the Big Red Switch to attempting to gain access to a basic text-only window (Ctrl Alt F1) and logging into root. I wanted to find out what was happening on the system. I hit CAF1 and waited about 30 seconds before the screen cleared and I got a login prompt. Good! I had to wait another 15-20 seconds to log in as root and get a shell prompt. I fired up top and saw that beagled-helper had 99% of the CPU. I killed it not once, but twice; it restarted the second time as I was watching top. Once beagled-helper was fully dead, europa's normal responsive returned.

When I got control of the graphical desktop again I ran free in a terminal window to see how much swap space got chewed up. As I suspected, beagled-helper had eaten up a good chunk of swap; nearly 200MB worth. Under normal circumstances my system uses an order of magnitude less, and that's with Java and/or a number of gcc compiles running on other desktops. I don't know what beagled-helper was doing, but the high swap use coupled with whatever it was attempting chewed up CPU cycles and hard-drive bandwidth.

My final step is to hunt down and keep beagled and beagled-helper from ever starting again. It's not a part of regular services, but looks to be started by something within the KDE login process. And for the record, there is an Ubuntu bug (64326) that was logged against a similar problem back in October. Whatever, I don't see a need for this, and I will shut it down permanently.


  1. That's interesting. I have had similar problems with SUSE 10.1. Beagled and Beagle-helper kept hogging all my CPU usage, and RAM! I constantly had full RAM usage (no swap yet...), and I have 1.5gigs of RAM. That is crazy. I too tried to prevent them from ever starting again (without my consent), but ended up just uninstalling them. It is a pitty though, I found beagle very helpful some times.

  2. Did you manage to solve this problem?
    As i'm suffering from this problem, as well.

  3. Yishay: I solved this problem by suppressing beagle from my computer.
    Harsh but efficient ;)

  4. Same problem here. openSuSE 10.2 on a laptop and beagled running amok pulling down 100% cpu.

    I'm removing it.

  5. I had the same problem and I though some re-indexing was going on.
    So I waited and left my computer and beagled do what they needed to do.
    After a couple of hours, everything turned back fine.

  6. I had trouble with beagle a few time. The following line of code fixed the problem forever though:

    yum remove beagl* -y

    lol. I havent had any diminished productivity from not having it installed, and my cpu is much less busy now.


Post a Comment

All comments are checked. Comment SPAM will be blocked and deleted.

Popular posts from this blog

cat-in-a-box channels greta garbo

So I'm sitting at my computer, when I start to notice a racket in back. I ignore it for a while until I hear a load "thump!", as if something had been dropped on the floor, followed by a lot of loud rattling. I turn around and see Lucy in the box just having a grand old time, rolling around and rattling that box a good one. I grab the GX1 and snap a few shots before she notices me and the camera, then leaps out and back into her chair (which used to be my chair before she decided it was her chair).

Just like caring for Katie my black Lab taught me about dogs, caring for Lucy is teaching me about cats. She finds me fascinating, as I do her. And she expresses great affection and love toward me without coaxing. I try to return the affection and love, but she is a cat, and she takes a bat at me on occasion, although I think that's just her being playful. She always has her claws in when she does that.

She sits next to me during the evening in her chair while I sit in mi…

first night for the gingersnaps

The first night has passed and the two have managed to survive, in spite of what their tiny hearts might have thought when first arriving. Greebo, the larger of the two, has been in hiding the entire time so far. Ponder has spent the time zipping in and out of hiding spots, checking things out, and learning just how comfortable pillows are for resting your head.

During the night I felt the tiny body of Ponder hitting the bed as he leaped up on the side, and then climbed to the top to run around on top of me. At least once he play-attacked my fingers. He might be small but his claws are still quite sharp.

When I got up in the morning the bowl of cat kitten food was fairly well depleted. It's been refilled and fresh water put in the big dish on the floor. I'm assuming that both Greebo and Ponder are feeding and drinking. I have seen Greebo under the furniture peeking out at me when I went looking for him. I'm leaving him alone while he continues to adjust.

So far the guys h…

vm networking problem fixed

Over the weekend I upgraded to Windows 8.1, then discovered that networking for the virtual machines wouldn't work. Then I tried something incredibly simple and fixed the problem.

Checking the system I noticed that three VMware Windows services weren't running; VMnetDHCP, VMUSBArbService, and VMwareNatService. VMware Player allows you to install, remove, or fix an existing installation. I chose to try fixing the installation, and that fixed the problem. The services were re-installed/restarted, and the virtual machines had networking again.

Once network connectivity was established there was exactly one updated file for Ubuntu 13.10, a data file. This underscores how solid and finished the release was this time. Every other version of every other Linux installation I've ever dealt with has always been succeeded by boatloads of updates after the initial installation. But not this time.

Everything is working properly on my notebook. All's right with the world.