Nokia 770: Nine months later

Well, it's December, and I've been using my 770 for nine months. I've grown quite familiar with it's capabilities and its quirks. I've lamented it's many shortcomings (just click on the Nokia770 label to read them all). I'm not here to heap more criticism, I'm actually here to praise one of its finer points: its display.

The display on the 770 is one of the best, if not the best, I've ever seen. It's resolution of 800 by 480, its 65K color depth, and the small size of the screen help to create a visually stunning experience. The 770 developers even seem to have cleaned up one of Linux's more noticeable annoyances; font rendering. The two screen shots that follow give you some idea as to how fonts look on the 770.





The Opera browser does a magnificent job of rendering text as well. I don't know if it's using the same fonts and font engine as the rest of the 770's OS and applications (I assume that it is). It's a decent little news reader when I'm out of the office at lunch at a place that has local WiFi connectivity.

I've been reading a lot of comments about why Linux has uneven quality with regards to font rendering. I've seen it myself. I'm just wondering if the developers on the other distributions have looked at what the 770 developers have done, and if it can help enhance font quality everywhere in the Linux world.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Decade Long Religious Con Job

Ten Reasons to Ignore Ten Reasons to Dump Windows and Use Linux

Former Eclipse user re-evaluates Eclipse 3.3M5